steeping grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywit

Reaction score
With the few brews I have done I have steeped 1-2lbs of grain. Should I be using a different pot to steep in? Also I have heard 2 things steep at 155 for 30 mins and start cold turn the heat on high then take the grain bag out at 170 which one is right?

With the few brews I have done I have steeped 1-2lbs of grain. Should I be using a different pot to steep in? Also I have heard 2 things steep at 155 for 30 mins and start cold turn the heat on high then take the grain bag out at 170 which one is right?

It doesn't really matter. You can steep at 155 for 3o minutes, or take the grain bag out when you get to 170, and the results will be the same or at least very similar.

The only time it matters is when you are using grains that must be mashed, and the temperature must be at 155 for 45-60 minutes. Otherwise, both intructions are correct.

If you are buying extract kits, the grains that come with the kit will all be ones that are steeped. Grains that have to be mashed will be Base Grains or Base Malts. If you look at some raw materials on websites, you should see grains separated into these categories. It has to do with diastatic power of the grain, its ability to convert starch into sugar. Your steeping grains will have little to no diastatic power or will need the help of other grains for conversion. After you have done a few brews, read up on all grain brewing, then partial mashes and it will make more sense. You might want to switch over to partial or all grain later.

Back