My 1st Bavarian Hefeweizen - questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
Forgive me if I don't have a clue what I'm doing with this recipe.

I'm not a huge fan of Wheat brews - however I have come to LOVE Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen.

So havign never brewed a wheat beer I picked up a kit of AHS Bavarian Hefeweizen and am wondering if there is anyway I can tweak this brew to be more Kellerweis Hefeweizen-ish.

I'm using a Dry Yeast - Munich German Wheat but can change if needed.

Anyone have an opinion?

I've never had the Kellerweis Hefeweizen but I've never been all that thrilled with the results from WB-06.

The classic yeast profile of Hefeweizen is balanced between banana esters and clove phenols; some are more heavy on the banana (isoamyl acetate) and some more clovey. Temperature is the biggest influencing factor - warmer for banana and cooler for clove.

WY3068/WLP300 is the famed Wiehenstephan strain - and it's simply delicious.

Wiehenstephan it is - I went the cheap rout on yeast since I was buying an unknown and did not know if there was any big difference.

I see . . .

This strain is a true top cropping yeast requiring full fermenter headspace of 33%.

Get the blow off ready!!!

I think my ambient temp in the basement is 66ish at the moment and I can alsy cool a carboy 5 degrees.

The question is what temp will give me the perfect bland of flavors.

Warmer = banana?
Cooler = coves?

Low 60s is ideal. It won't give you overpowering esters and you'll still get all the banana you need. Clove, too. There really is no "clove at lower, banana at higher"...it's more that the flavors will be more subdued and clean at lower temps. I still get PLENTY of banana when I ferment my weizens at ~62°F.

Kellerweis is not bad at all (and I'm not a fan of SN) and definitely fits in the style of a German Hefeweizen. I don't know what you could do to the kit to make it more like kellerweis, except to ensure the ingredients are close to what they have listed here:

http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/kellerweis.html

In any case, you can't go wrong with a German Hefeweizen.
:mug:

I've been fermenting in the mid-60's for my hefeweizen, using WLP300 in my most recent batches. As far as hops go, I have been using Mt. Hood and Sterling. Good Luck!

This calls for 3/4 Hallertau 60min and 1/4 at 5 min

Germain Pilsner, Carapils and Red Wheat with Wheat Extract.

I think the yeast will take care of the extra flavors - I Was unaware it had that much of an impact.

I can always open ferment - screw all the fruit flies - they will add flavor! LOL

Open fermentation isn't going to change your beer on this scale. They do open fermentation in big sanitized clean rooms...it's not like wild yeast is introduced or anything.

Open fermentation isn't going to change your beer on this scale. They do open fermentation in big sanitized clean rooms...it's not like wild yeast is introduced or anything.

True - it is fermented in very shallow trays basically. It would be like me fermenting a brew in a 5 gallon cookie sheet!

BTW - I tried for the 1st time Dancing Man Wheat by New Glarus - WOW! What an outstanding brew. And it kicked me in the ass!

I think my ambient temp in the basement is 66ish at the moment and I can alsy cool a carboy 5 degrees.

The question is what temp will give me the perfect bland of flavors.

Warmer = banana?
Cooler = coves?
In addition to what DB said, pitch rate and aeration also play a role in the ester/phenolic profile the yeast provide. There was an article somewhere regarding pitch rates and a tasting panel preferred the German Weizen that was under-pitched (with other yeasts/beers they usually preferred brews made with 'recommended' pitch rates). I recently made one on a washed cake so I probably over-pitched it and while it's good...it's not as good as the Weizen that made that cake.

Back