Adding yeast to my batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillman1

Reaction score
Kit says to sprinkle the yeast on top when it cools to 75f, do I stir that in or just sprinkle it on top? Maybe a silly question, but I don't know if it makes a difference or not.

I would recommend rehydrating your yeast really quick before pitching. To do this, simply put 1 cup of lukewarm (90F) water in a sanitized bowl and sprinkle the yeast on top. Let that sit for about 15 minutes and then pour it all into your batch and stir.

If you don't want to do that, you can still sprinkle it on top. You can stir if you'd like, just make sure the spoon is sanitized.

the rehydrating is a better idea than just sprinkling it on top of the wart. the dry yeast will have a hard time pulling in water to hydrate themselves in the wart because of all the sugar. i have never used tried to sprinkling the yeast on top. but i would guess it would still work.

I generally use a starter... but I have just sprinkled the dry on top of the wort in the fermentation vessel, and it turned out fine.

I've tried sprinkling and rehydrating with two different batches of the same stuff. Both started quickly and finished just fine

I just sprinkled a packet of dry yeast on top of the wort for my first two batches. I started seeing activity in the airlock within 12 hours. It works fine.

I ended up just sprinkling the dry yeast on top, and I think I added it while the wort was too warm. It was taking too long to cool down and I had to go to work. HOpefully all turns out well. I checked the activity in the airlock and it is going well for now. This forum is an incredible wealth of knowledge.

I ended up just sprinkling the dry yeast on top, and I think I added it while the wort was too warm. It was taking too long to cool down and I had to go to work. HOpefully all turns out well. I checked the activity in the airlock and it is going well for now. This forum is an incredible wealth of knowledge.

Glad to hear good things. Be sure to keep us updates

Back