Strainer or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
Tomorrow I'm going to brew a batch of Sinistral Warrior from NB. It's an extract kit and there are 5 oz. of hops in the recipe (pellet type). I bought a strainer a week or so back that fits in my funnel. Now I'm wondering if I really want to strain my wort when I pour it from my brew pot into my carboy. Would that strain out some of the hops & reduce their impact?

Any opinions?

Nope, the oils are in the wort at that point, not in the hops. Strain away... many people leave all the hop residue behind in the kettle.

Think about it this way... after you drop your wort below about 170F, you arent getting any noticeable utilization either.

Further, when you drink beer, the hops are not in your glass... the oils are in the beer, not in the hops, after the boil.

Thanks for the enlightenment & speedy reply! I'll put the strainer into use. I just bottled a west coast pale ale today and was doing a good job of keeping the sludge out when I bumped my racking cane and I got to watch a big cloud of sediment make its' way into my bottling bucket. :( The less stuff that's in there to start with the clearer it should be in the end (that's my story and I'm sticking to it)

Keep a sanitized SS spoon handy, you'll need to agitate the wad of hop muck that will eventually clog your strainer...ask me how i know :) I've started to use a hop bag during the boil to reduce the amount that I have to strain off.

I am putting together a hop sock holder for my 10 gallon brew pot. I have seen several different variations and I am leaning towards the PVC and SS Rods to hold it along with a Duct Tie.

I have used the strainer several times and have also knocked it loose and had it fall into the primary....... man does that ever pi$$ the spit out of you when everything else seemed to go so well.

I think if your careful you should have no problems.

Salute! :mug:

My primary is a carboy and the strainer fits in the large funnel that came with my brew kit. I don't think I could get that to fall into the carboy but I'm sure I could knock the handle and spill stuff all over :drunk:

I might look into that hopsack idea as wel...

Back