Dunkelweizen Decoction Mash schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennis0

Reaction score
I've never done a decoction mash, but I'm hoping it will give my dunkelweizen an edge and be a good learning experience. I need help with my decoction schedule though- I'm not entirely sure if I'm doing it right. I'd like to not have to do a 2-3 hour mash (2 being upper limit) so I've designed it so that I get a ferulic acid rest to give me a better clove taste. I'm skipping the protein rest because it seems it is unnecessary for modern well-modified malts.

HBT what do you think of this mash schedule / recipe??

Name Amount Yield Color
Weyermann - Pale Wheat Malt 5.25 lb 85% 2 L
Weyermann - Pilsner Malt 2.5 lb 81% 2 L
Special B Malt 12 oz 65% 160 L
Weyermann - Light Munich Malt 1.5 lb 82% 7 L
Wheat, Flaked 1 lb 77% 2 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L 6 oz 74% 60 L

Hops:

Name Alpha Amount Use Form IBU
Hallertau 4.5% 1 oz First Wort Pellet 15.7

Yeast:

WLP351 - Bavarian Weizen Yeast

Mash Schedule:

- Infuse ferulic acid rest at 99F for 15 min

- decoction 1: decoct about 2/3 of mash, rest at 155F for 10 min, raise to boiling for 30 minutes

- add decoction back to main mash to reach temp of 154F, hold 45-60 min or until fully converted, then sparge

Ferulic rest temp is around 110-115 the mash pH needs to be about 5.8. Do the ferulic thing, then wait until the mash pH drops to around 5.6 before you pull the decoction. If the mash hangs at 5.8, next time toss in some sauer malt after the ferulic rest. Now, remember, the main mash is going to be at acid rest temps and may continue to lower pH. Buy a yeast that will help with the clove flavor. Next time when you have more time, boil longer. A longer boil will reduce the protein gum and break down hardened starch stuck in the husk. I'm not sure about using Spec B with a decoction. If using it toss it in near the end of the decoction boil time. It might be too aggressive if boiled for the full time. Once you do enough decoctions, you'll be able to tell by the slickness of the mash in the decoction kettle during the boil, when everything is right on. Try not to scorch the decoction mash. Brew on, you'll do fine.

Thanks for the help! I have a few questions though.

Ferulic rest temp is around 110-115 the mash pH needs to be about 5.8. Do the ferulic thing, then wait until the mash pH drops to around 5.6 before you pull the decoction. If the mash hangs at 5.8, next time toss in some sauer malt after the ferulic rest.

I don't really have any way of measuring pH right now. What would a recommended time be instead?

Next time when you have more time, boil longer. A longer boil will reduce the protein gum and break down hardened starch stuck in the husk.

Boil for the decoction? How long do you think that should be? More like 45 min to 1 hour?

I'm not sure about using Spec B with a decoction. If using it toss it in near the end of the decoction boil time. It might be too aggressive if boiled for the full time.

What do you mean by too aggressive? Would it impart too much of a taste?

Back