How to use egg yolks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a recipe for angel food cake that calls for 12 egg whites, leaving me with 12 yolks without a home. Does anyone have any recipes that I could use these up in? I'm thinking challah or brioche, maybe a custard or ice cream?

Thanks in advance.

azscoob, I've got a pretty killer vanilla ice cream recipe that doesn't use eggs, but sure send it over. I'll show you mine if you show me yours! Any tips on how not to curdle the eggs? I always have that problem.

dataz722, never even thought about creme brulee....oooo...now we're talking!

Keep 'em coming! If the angel food recipe turns out well I'll have a ton of yolks to use up.

azscoob, I've got a pretty killer vanilla ice cream recipe that doesn't use eggs, but sure send it over. I'll show you mine if you show me yours! Any tips on how not to curdle the eggs? I always have that problem.

You need to temper them. You add the hot liquid to the already beaten eggs a very little bit at a time. That is slowly raise the temp of the eggs. Adding sugar to the beaten eggs helps too.

You need to temper them. You add the hot liquid to the already beaten eggs a very little bit at a time. That is slowly raise the temp of the eggs. Adding sugar to the beaten eggs helps too.

See, I do that, but I still end up curdling. Perhaps the mixture gets too hot? Should I just strain the mixture through a sieve?

See, I do that, but I still end up curdling. Perhaps the mixture gets too hot? Should I just strain the mixture through a sieve?

Sometimes it does just happen. If it isn't too bad then just strain it.

Are the eggs still really cold when you do it? You are either not wisking enough or fast enough, the eggs are too cold to start with, or you are adding too much at a time.

I will dig it up tonight! as for the yolks, yes you need to temper them, and loads of stirring over a double boiler, take a moment to rest and bam, they set.

I would like to see your ice cream recipe too. That is one thing that I have problems with. I have only tried a couple times though.

Here's the (eggless) recipe I use:
* 2 cups half-and-half
* 1 cup whipping cream
* 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons sugar
* 2 tablespoons peach preserves (not jelly)
* 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped

Combine all ingredients (including the bean and its pulp) in a large saucepan and place over medium heat. Attach a frying or candy thermometer to inside of pan. (see note below) Stirring occasionally, bring the mixture to 170 degrees F. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Remove the hull of the vanilla bean, pour mixture into lidded container and refrigerate mixture overnight to mellow flavors and texture.

Freeze mixture in ice cream freezer according to unit's instructions. The mixture will not freeze hard in the machine. Once the volume has increased by 1/2 to 3/4 times, and reached a soft serve consistency, spoon the mixture back into a lidded container and harden in the freezer at least 1 hour before serving.

NOTE: If you do not have a thermometer, bring the mixture just barely to a simmer. As soon as you see a bubble hit the surface, remove it from the heat. Do not let it boil.

This recipe is from Alton Brown's Good Eats on Food Network. And it's delicious!!!

here is the recipe from my ice cream maker book, I tend to make this one more than other flavors I absolutely love it.
2 1/3 cups whole milk
2 1/3 cups heavy cream
1 whole vanilla bean
3 large eggs
4 large egg yolks
1 1/8 cups sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract

combine milk and cream, split and scrape the vanilla bean pod and add to the milk and cream, bring to a slow simmer for 30 min stirring occasionally and watching for a milk boil over.
combine eggs and yolks and sugar in medium bowl, use a mixer to whip together until mixture is thick, smooth, and pale yellow, (almost mayo like color)
remove the cream mixture from the heat and remove and discard the pod, temper the eggs by adding 1 cup of the hot milk/cream slowly in a steady stream to the eggs while mixing constantly (I use a stand mixer, a hand mixer on low or whipping by hand constantly works too). once combined, add the mixture back into the cream while stirring constantly, once that is combined return to medium-low heat and stir constantly until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, transfer to a bowl and stir in the vanilla extract, cover with plastic wrap (sitting directly on the mixture so it doeant skin over) and chill completely before transferring into the ice cream maker.

My ice cream maker is a 2qt model, obviously you may need to scale up or down to get the correct volume you need.
Enjoy!

It was the little getting-started book that came with my cuisinart ICE-30BC ice cream maker, having messed with several different recipes, I still go back to that one, admittedly, my favorite ice cream flavor is vanilla. When wife and I go for ice cream, even with all those flavors, I always get vanilla. Although, once I talked the waitress at Olive Garden into giving me a whole to-go box full of those mints. I made the above recipe, subbed a 1/2tsp of vanilla for peppermint extract, and added a slew of smashed up mints, that was yummy too!

Youre egg yolks havent curdled, they have cooked. Dont let your custard get above 82oC. Dont use a whisk,this just adds air and makes a frothy custard and if you use this for icecream little ice crystals form producing a gritty icecream.

Youre egg yolks havent curdled, they have cooked. Dont let your custard get above 82oC. Dont use a whisk,this just adds air and makes a frothy custard and if you use this for icecream little ice crystals form producing a gritty icecream.

^^Great tip. ++1 use a spoon.

Béarnaise sauce.
step 1: make and hold sauce
step 2: prep and grill steak (blue rare and chared)
step 3: pour beer
step 4: nom nom nom nom :ban: :rockin:

Back