3 weeks in carboy crystal clear... 3.5 cloudy???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnaBonger

Reaction score
I have a Kolsch that has been in the primary for 3 weeks... I was planning on waiting 1 more week then bottling. At 3 weeks it was crystal clear and looking good... I checked on it today (couple of days later) and it's cloudy and it looks like trub from the bottom has crept up the sides of the carboy. Weird... It really looks as if the whole thing has been shaken up, which it hasn't. The only oddity I can notice is that the temp in the basement which it sits has risen by maybe 5 ambient degrees, from say 63ish to 67-68ish due to a gorgeous day we're having.

Could a small spike in temp cause something like this or is this a common thing that maybe I just haven't seen before?

Thanks

Higher temp changes can kick off new fermentation, if it had gotten warmer then cooler it could be a chill haze.
Any chance of a large truck or minor quake shaking it up a bit?
You may want to give it a couple more days before racking it to bottles or secondary.

SWMBO might have bumped into it on accident...or your brewdog....or the plumber. Chances are it was shaken by some outside influence. Give it a day to see if it clears.

Lol... SWMBO enjoys the beer so wouldnt be her... brewdog, kinda likes the beer too... rumor has it the house is haunted... I'll chalk it up to the halloween spirits and just relax...

tanks :)

Lol... SWMBO enjoys the beer so wouldnt be her... brewdog, kinda likes the beer too... rumor has it the house is haunted... I'll chalk it up to the halloween spirits and just relax...

tanks :)

Maybe you bumped it while waxing your skis.

I had a pale ale that I was using Safbrew s-33 in do the same thing. I didn't notice any temp. fluctuations, so I never figured out why the yeast woke up. Wait for it to clear before you bottle it.

Yeast sometimes wake up. They're weird. I remember I read somewhere that sudden changes in pressure can rouse sediment. Dunno if that's bull or not, though. Anyone else remember anything like that?

Bob

...I read somewhere that sudden changes in pressure can rouse sediment...

Bob

There was a really violent wind/rain storm the night before I noticed the carboy but I dismissed it as it's not like the house moved or anything. The pressure surely must have changed before & after the storm... The kicker though, is that the apfelwein sitting right next to it is still crystal clear and has no sign of anything happening, although it has much less trub to get agitated...

Ill let it ride for another couple of days as it was my plan anyways. I just hadn't seen anything like this before.

Back