lme vs dme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shifty11

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How equal are Liquid Malt Extracts and Dry Malt Extracts to each other? Is it a one to one ratio? Or is it different?

Is 7lbs of lme equal to 7lbs of dme of the same type of extract?

How equal are Liquid Malt Extracts and Dry Malt Extracts to each other? Is it a one to one ratio? Or is it different?

Is 7lbs of lme equal to 7lbs of dme of the same type of extract?

lme is basically DME with some liquid in it. not completely dried out (in the simplest terms).

for ratios... it's 1lb of LME = 0.8 lbs of DME (or if you're converting from DME to LME it's 1.25 lbs of LME for every lb of DME

I'm not quite sure what you mean. You were given the conversion factor above (though it's approximate, as this varies somewhat between extract types, so you have to look up the exact numbers if you want to be precise).

The conversion factor assumes that you've chosen a fixed wort volume into which you were going to dissolve some weight of DME. To produce the same volume of wort with the same SG, you multiply by the conversion factor (~1.2) to get the weight of LME you need. (Note that you will be adding different amounts of water to get equal total wort volumes.)

Does that help?

I probably didn't ask the question correctly.

What you said makes sense though and the math I needed now adds up, nicely!

Thanks Z!

Back