Pretty Pretty Smell Good IPA (all grain)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RhythmSection

Reaction score
Hey y'all, I'm working up an Ipa recipe and just wanted to see what you guys think. Here goes

7 lb. 2-row
5 lb. wheat
.75 lb. Honey malt
.5 lb. Victory
.75 lb. Cane sugar

The grain bill is one I've used before and I'm very happy with it. So I don't really need many changes there (plus I already have it milled and read to go). Now, for the hops!

1.25 oz Columbus pellet FWH

.75 oz Motueka and Citra, .5 oz Simcoe, .25 oz Cascade @ 15,10,5,&FO
I also plan on using these hops in ridiculous amounts for dry hops

I'm trying for almost a continual hop, but only for the last 15 minutes. I want the main emphasis to be the tropical awesomeness of the motueka and citra, and I plan on using the cascade and simcoe to accentuate them. I've used cascade and simcoe together before and I really love how they work together, so i hope they'll be a good base for the citra and motueka to stand on. Also, I want it to be super hoppy, so maybe i should throw some more hops in it? What do you guys think? Any tips or ideas? Cheers :rockin:

Have you run the IBU numbers? 6oz in the last 15 minutes is a ton and starting to border on a hop burst plus a significant bittering addition.

For the dry hop portion, if you are going to "ridiculous" amounts, you should consider breaking it into 2 additions. For some reason, 3 followed by 3 backs a bigger punch than dumping 6 in at once.

The ibus come in at around 85 (rager). I think I will cut back the bittering, as the late hops and dry hops may add some perceived bitterness... I didn't really want it too bitter anyway, I just have lots of extra Columbus I need to use. This will be my first experiment with first wort hopping, but I've read that it won't add as much bitterness as a standard bittering addition. If anyone has tips for FWH I'd love to hear them
The plan for dry hopping was maybe half an ounce simcoe and cascade with an ounce of citra and motueka for seven days, and an ounce and a half of motueka and citra for three days (7 days dry hop total).

7 2-row and 5 wheat and calling it an ipa? what you have is almost an imperial american wheat. i'd back off on the wheat for an ipa. maybe 11.5 2-row and .5 wheat. i know you have the grain milled and set, but maybe something to think about next time

Really I just called it an IPA, but stylistically its definitely not. I really just didn't know what to call it. Hoppy american wheat I guess. I used a smaller version of this grain bill (~1.055), earlier this summer with citra and centennial and it was a great bill for a hoppy beer. The original inspiration was a cross between a lil sumpin sumpin and pollination honey ale. This time around I want it a little bigger and with more tropical/juicy hops.

Really I just called it an IPA, but stylistically its definitely not. I really just didn't know what to call it. Hoppy american wheat I guess. I used a smaller version of this grain bill (~1.055), earlier this summer with citra and centennial and it was a great bill for a hoppy beer. The original inspiration was a cross between a lil sumpin sumpin and pollination honey ale. This time around I want it a little bigger and with more tropical/juicy hops.

not cutting it down, by any means, and i ain't judging. if it tastes good, it's good. i like beers with a lot of wheat also :rockin:

Back