American Wheat Beer Dog Ways Wheat Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedGuitar

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Wyeast 1010 American Wheat
Yeast Starter
none
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Hops are very present without being overpowering; light body, great for summer
Fermentables:
4 lbs wheat malt
1 lb flaked wheat
1.2 lb Crystal 20
2 3/4 lbs extra light DME

Hops (pelletized):
1 oz Centennial 60 mins
1 oz Cascade 20 mins
1 oz Cascade 1 min

I mashed all of my grains with 2 1/4 gallons water at 150* for an hour, then sparked with 2 1/2 gallons at 175*. Brought to boil, added DME, returned to boil and followed the above hop schedule.

Had to add water afterwards to bring wort back up to 5 gallons (now that we have a bigger house, SWMBO says I can get bigger brew gear :ban:). Pitched yeast and let 'er rip: 14 days in primary, then bottled with corn sugar and started enjoying three weeks later.

I absolutely love this beer, and cannot hardly wait to make another batch. This beer is like potato chips- I can't have just one!

The hop level is pleasantly bitter without being overpowering. The American Wheat yeast does not have the banana-and-clove characteristic of German Wheat yeast, but does have a (very) slight citrusy finish, which I think goes great with the hop profile.

:tank:

Edit: just caught my own typo; I call this "Dog Days WPA", not "Dog Ways"... Any mods feel free to change it.

Sounds great! I'm thinking of trying it with some Honey Malt to replace the Crystal 20, thoughts?

I don't see why not. I used the crystal to make it a bit more like a typical pale ale. I'm not sure I would use that much honey malt; maybe divide the crystal 20 between crystal and honey malt.

Or, just make this beer your own with some honey malt. I love honey malt in wheat beers.

Back