Soaking Oak Chips In Maple Syrup Then Bourbon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BurleyBrew

Reaction score
I want to make a KBS style beer but I haven't found any clone recipes, if someone has one I'll take it!

Anyway, has anyone ever soaked bourbon barrel oak chips in maple syrup, then in bourbon? I was thinking of soaking the chips in maple syrup for a few weeks and then bourbon for a few weeks aaannd then using that with an imperial stout.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts and/or experiences with oak, maple syrup and bourbon.

It seems a lot simpler to me to soak half in syrup, half in bourbon, combine in secondary until its got the flavor you want.

I just don't think they'll soak up enough of both liquids in one chip.

Do you think that only soaking half the chips in syrup introduces the risk of contamination since they won't be soaking in alcohol?

Syrup is not going to harbor any badies. If you are worried about the little line of mold that may form, throw it in an airtight container in a fridge for the few weeks of soak time.

You could heat the maple syrup, with the oak in, the oak will absorb it better, and add the bourbon once it's called down. (Which is what I'd do).

Syrup is not going to harbor any badies. If you are worried about the little line of mold that may form, throw it in an airtight container in a fridge for the few weeks of soak time.

Syrup may not harbor any baddies, but the oak chips might. One of the reasons we soak the chips in alcohol is to kill stuff off. The syrup won't do that.

I would just soak the chips in booze and add the maple syrup to the fermenter separately. I don't believe kbs is made in maple syrup barrels, it's still oak barrels, the maple is added at different times in the process.

Back