Not Getting Any Activity [Please Help!!]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorpandolfo

Reaction score
I pitched the yeast and capped the carboy on my primary fermentor for an amber ale batch a little over 50 hours ago using White Labs Auropean Ale 011. After about 36 hours I still wasn't seeing any activity so i popped off the rubber stopper and really shook up the batch. 12 hours down the line, I thought I saw some bubbles and activity but it hasn't changed since and I'm thinking it's just some sediment that's stuck to the side of the carboy from shaking it up.
I think I've done a bad job with getting oxygen exposure to the yeast both times when I capped it as well as when I shook it up. Where do I go from here? I'm scared I'm going to lose this batch.

First RELAX!!!!! You have new brewer's anxiety, nothing more. Your beer is fine.

#1 https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/, and by visible signs we don't necessarily mean a bubbling airlock.

It IS a sticky at the top of the beginners forum for a reason, afterall. ;)

As already stated in the linked sticky, Fermentation often can take up to three days to start. And by visible signs they do NOT mean airlock bubbling.

I don't see anything by what you are saying to indicate that your fermentation actually wasn't. All I see is that your airlock wasn't bubbling, and that you didn't take a gravity reading before panicking and and starting this thread.

BUT without a gravity reading all you are telling me is that your airlock wasn't bubbling....That is NOT the same thing as a fermentation happening.

Whether it's in a conical, a bucket, or a carboy, it's the same thing. An airlock is a VENT, a VALVE to release excess co2, nothing more.

If it's not bubbling it just means that there no excess co2 to be vented out.

In your case, more than likely hadn't even started yet, or that it was working fine, and just didn't need to vent any co2 yet.

And you openning the stopper, keeps releasing any co2 that is built up in there to begin with, so of course your airlock may not bubble.

A beer may ferment perfectly fine without a single blip in the airlock.

That's why you need to take a gravity reading to know how your fermentation is going, NOT go by airlocks. The most important tool you can use is a hydrometer. It's the only way you will truly know when your beer is ready...airlock bubbles and other things are faulty.

The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in....

Thinking about "doing anything" without taking a hydrometer reading is tantamount to the doctor deciding to cut you open without running any diagnostic tests....Taking one look at you and saying, "Yeah I'm going in." You would really want the doctor to use all means to properly diagnose what's going on?

Next time, wait 72 hours, and then take a grav reading, what happens to 99% of the nervous new brewers like you, is that when they open their bucket to take the reading, they see a beautiful krauzen on top of the beer, which means that fermentation is indeed happening.

Yeasts just don't "NOT WORK" these days. That's an old idea from 30 years ago, not the reality these days. Given enough time the yeast does what it needs to do.

Now......
Stepaway_copy.jpg

:mug:

The wort was 75 degrees when I pitched the yeast and I took an OG reading of about 1.060. Thanks for the quick, informed responses; it puts my mind at much more ease. So from here, I should sit back and wait a while?

If the OP would follow up later on, I'm interested to find out how the story ends. Thanks!

That didn't take long... lots and lots of bubbles. The batch is looking just fine. Thanks for all the advice and help; I'll keep my nerves about me next time.

That didn't take long... lots and lots of bubbles. The batch is looking just fine. Thanks for all the advice and help; I'll keep my nerves about me next time.

Your welcome. Feel free to make a tax deductible donation to the "Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Perfectly Fermenting Beer"

GT

Back