Opinions wanted-Reusing laboratory bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

582brew

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone could pitch in and give me some feedback on a question I had. I work in a lab and we go through a lot of reagents, some of which come in 4 liter glass jugs. I've started re-using the glass jugs that contain ethanol and wash them out really well because I know some of the chemical companies put an additive in it that makes it undrinkable. The guy at my local brew shop advocated this collecting saying that glass is non-porous, therefore it should be safe as long as I'm safe while cleaning them out. I don't see any problem, does anyone else? We also use some more hazardous stuff and was a little hesitant to re-use those bottles. Just being paranoid? Thanks for any feedback.

I think you are good to go. Just rinse well. My grandparents still have some acid carboys sitting around that my mom used to bring home when she worked in a lab in Grad school.

I reuse ours all the time. I have about 6 0,5L glycerol bottles and 3 4L bottles. 2 of the 4L ones were Methanol, and I'm not blind yet. I use these for starters all the time.

As long as you are cleaning them out well, it shouldn't be a problem (at least with the ethanol). Steer clear of things like acetylnitrile or anything halogenated though.

Back