New Shutoff valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackfoot

Reaction score
Need some help here. I have myshutoff valve coming out of my regulator. The barb is too big so I need to change it (shutoff valve with smaller barb). The thing is I tried to unscrew it but I can't budge it. I looked at it real close and it looks like there is some kind of stuff painted onto the threads instead of teflon tape. Is there something I should be doing to make this stuff let go so I can get it unscrewed?

Thanks

Yeah, it is locktite (red). Problem is I can't put the regulator in a vice and those plastic dials won't take to much before they break when you are using them to push against. Any other ideas?

how about you mount the regulator on the tank, then try to remove the barb. The tank might just give you the leverage.

Is there some reason we don't use Teflon tape on this stuff? If so I need to know because it is my intention to put it back together with Teflon tape.

Is there some reason we don't use Teflon tape on this stuff? If so I need to know because it is my intention to put it back together with Teflon tape.

Teflon usually works, however, I had a tank with slightly damaged threads and had to use pipe dope to get it to seal properly. I understand that the Pipe Dope is better for more permanent higher pressure metal applications.

FWIW, I deal with this a lot at work and for the really tough seals we have to use a combination of T-tape AND pipe dope. Like for SS screw-plug type heating elements into SS tank fittings...in a hot caustic tank...a real ***** to seal sometimes.

The regulator port should (key word; 'should') have flats on it such that you can put a wrench on it...then another wrench on the flats of the valve. That way you can hold the regulator securely while you thread the valve off. It usually works better/easier if you can align the wrenches such that the handles are close together...then you just grab both handles and squeeze them together to get it going. Once you 'break' that strong connection with the pipe dope/Loctite; it should thread off fairly easily after that.

Using a full bottle of CO2 as something to hold so you can get the valve off is questionable regarding safety.

Latest posts

Back