How to sweeten, carbonate, and bottle my cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photopilot

Reaction score
I am about to bottle my cider. I am looking to sweeten it up, am thinking of adding maltose to do that, 3/4 cup of sugar for priming and then bottle and wait. Right now it tastes fairly dry. What is a range of maltose I should add to get it fairly sweet?

Thanks

OK, here's how I am doing it.

Boil a quart of water, add 3/4 cup of corn sugar, 2 cups of maltose to the boiling water, add it to the bottling bucket and taste it for sweetness, adjust and bottle. I'll let you know how it goes.

Might be too late, but a sure fired way to give your cider a sweet flavor is with splenda.

I added a cup at bottling time and it was great. Slightly sweet, not too dry and the girls loved it. Like a Wood Chuck hard cider.

Too late, bottled last night as I described. I have heard of splenda being used on this site. I am hesitant to add a synthetic sweetner as I do not like its flavor normally. Plus my girlfriend is a Chef and works for an organic grocer. She probably would not drink it if she knew it was in there. What she doesn't know won't hurt her............

If you look up "maltose" in the Wiki, maltose is the sugar in beer....basically...it ferments out!!! You are asking for bottle bombs here. I would taste ever few days and when it is carbed enough, put it in the fridge--all of it.

If you look up "maltose" in the Wiki, maltose is the sugar in beer....basically...it ferments out!!! You are asking for bottle bombs here. I would taste ever few days and when it is carbed enough, put it in the fridge--all of it.

Or you can pasturize it.

Back