Hop Leaves turning brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrimyHoboSack

Reaction score
Having a problem with my hops, the leaves have been losing color and turning brown at the edges and look like they are burnt almost. Does this look like disease, nutrients, too little water or too much water or possibly just hot temperatures affecting the hops? Tried looking at handbooks, but didn't have any luck really placing it.

I added 10-10-10 4-5 days before the pictures were taken and I think the plants looked a bit worse after, so I don't think that helped really.

Album of pictures

jkwOAGe.jpg

Looks like a nutrient deficency according to the home brewers garden. $hit. Its hard to tell. Do you have any other gardens around?is it affecting the bottom leaves only or is it spreading?

It looks like you may have a pest problem, aphids, leaf miners, leaf hoppers will do similar damage to plants. Look at the leaves very closely and if anything tiny is there it may be part of the problem. A foliar feeding can help with plant recovery after addressing the potential pest problem. Check for pest infestation immediately.

Thanks for the tips. I haven't been over to the house my hops live at yet, but I'll take a look tonight. The only thing I noticed when looking at the hops were some small white things under some of the leaves, possibly eggs. I tried to take a picture of it, but my phone camera wouldn't focus well on something that close, can see a couple blurry ones by my thumb in this pic.

eehqLjr.jpg

I believe you're right that it's leaf hoppers. I found some tiny green bugs on the leaves that might be leaf hoppers, hard to tell exactly what at that size, but the white things under the leaves look like they might be the castings from when the leaf hoppers molt.

So at this point there are cones on the bines, I assume that means it's too late to spray with anything other than water, right?

Thanks for the help identifying these guys, I'll have to be more diligent at checking the leaves next year and stop any problems earlier.

bVhg0f4.jpg

Back