Krausen not falling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frothdaddy

Reaction score
I brewed a Honey Weizen kit from NB about 2 weeks ago. Just about hit my OG right on the mark with 1.051, and I saw activity about 72 hours after I pitched. It's now been about a week and a half since I first saw activity, but I've still got quite a bit of krausen, and airlock activity more than once per minute.

Should I stick my thief through the krausen to check my gravity, or just wait for it to fall? I've read some other threads that suggest that sometimes in wheat beers the krausen never falls. Should I give the carboy a little shake to see if it will fall? I just want to avoid prematurely checking my gravity so as to minimize the risks of infection.

It is true that sometimes the krausen will never fall with a wheat. Most of the time it will, but I've had a few that didn't.

I'd recommend that you take a reading on consecutive days and if both readings are the same and it's where you want it, then you're ready to bottle.

I just did a Honey Weizen batch myself recently and ended up racking from under the krausen myself. Final gravity came out at 1.008 which was pretty much on target....still had a good 3/4" krausen though.

Latest posts

Back