Hop shortage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kate00

Reaction score
I'm in Denver. Went to the LHBS and we're out of a ton of different hops. The IPA hops are gone. Amarillo simcoe centennial etc. Is this hitting everywhere or just here? Just wanting to know/ starting to panic.

Amarillo, Simcoe, Citra, and Centennial have been hard to find for some time. They are very very popular and the crops were down last year. If you look around online you can find them, they just aren't always available.

Kate00 said:
I'm in Denver. Went to the LHBS and we're out of a ton of different hops. The IPA hops are gone. Amarillo simcoe centennial etc. Is this hitting everywhere or just here? Just wanting to know/ starting to panic.

Freshhops.com in Oregon. They have Centennial and Citra, perfect for IPA. Two of my favorites and about half the price you will pay at your LHBS. Check them out online. Simcoe and Amarillo always hard to find.

Yep....it's everywhere. If you can find them..they are expensive. My LHBS had Amarillo for 3.50 an ounce!! Ouch! Your best bet is too buy them in bulk right after harvest. Even small commercial breweries can't get some of the hops they need. My solution is to use more easily available hops for IPA's... Columbus, Cascade, Chinook, etc.

if u have a whole foods locally, check them out. my local WF has a more "aggressive" selection than my local HBS (even on yeast). I just killed their simcoe stock the other day. doing an all simcoe pale roughly base on Russian river's all simcoe pale. (fantastic, btw)

Back