When to take mash pH?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sculpin

Reaction score
Hi,

Is there a best time to take the mash pH?

How long should I wait after dough in?

I'm worried not to take the reading too early and make un-necessary adjustments, but at the same time I don't want to wait too long and have the mash at the wrong pH.

I hope this makes sense. Thanks.

All the work in measuring pH is calibrating the meter. Once that is done each additional measurement is very little effort. So take readings frequently i.e. just after dough in and perhaps every 10 minutes after that. You will soon learn how long it takes the measurements to stabilize in the beers you brew.

I will note that when sauermalz is being used that it seems to take longer for the readings to stabilize. They can be alarmingly low at dough-in but then drift up over the course of half an hour or so.

The goal is, of course, to have the pH reading be a confirmatory check that all is OK - not a warning that something needs to be fixed. At first, naturally, that will be the case but as you learn your way it won't.

Back