What is a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrivetDriveBrewery

Reaction score
Getting ready to start my second batch in a week and I am using a liquid yeast (as opposed to a dry yeast which I did for my first batch).

I've seen a couple places about using a starter...what is this?

Basically a starter is a mini beer that is created to grow up the yeast cells to the proper pitch rate for your beer

Www.yeastcalc.com is a great site to calculate pitch rate and determine what size starter you need or how many steps it will take to get there depending on the gravity of the beer

There is plenty of info on making Sayers via YouTube or on this site with a simple search:)

Basically a starter is a mini beer that is created to grow up the yeast cells to the proper pitch rate for your beer

Www.yeastcalc.com is a great site to calculate pitch rate and determine what size starter you need or how many steps it will take to get there depending on the gravity of the beer

There is plenty of info on making Sayers via YouTube or on this site with a simple search:)

I love making sayers!

YouTube is how I learn 95% of the time....

Last edited by a moderator:
Done some research and I feel like I'm getting a better grasp but it brought up a couple more questions.

1) I'm making a recipe kit, should I just take DME from the kit? What about hops? Eventually this "minibeer" is going to be incorporated into my actual wort so will it ruin the flavor? In general, what kind of DME are people using? The DME that matches the style of beer they're preparing?

2) If I'm making a 1L starter, would using a 2 L soda bottle be okay? I don't have a flask. And seems silly but how do you sanitize aluminum foil?

3) I don't have a stirring plate, I can give it a swirl as often as I can but between work and life that'll probably be once or twice each morning, stagnant for 10 hours, and a couple times in the evening. Is this a problem?

4) Decanting? What? You let it go for a couple of days, then refrigerate the day before brewing, take out the day off, pour off liquid (what does this mean) and then allow it to go to room temp? Then I pour the contents into the cooled wort? Did I get this all straight?

These are pretty basic questions. Sure you researched this? This YouTube video a few posts above this one answers most of these questions.

1) I'm making a recipe kit, should I just take DME from the kit? What about hops?

Get more DME. Don't steal it from the kit. Don't use hops in a starter.

Eventually this "minibeer" is going to be incorporated into my actual wort so will it ruin the flavor?

No, you pour the starter "beer" off and only use the yeast that remains at the bottom of the flask.

In general, what kind of DME are people using? The DME that matches the style of beer they're preparing?

Does not matter. I use Extra Light as a rule of thumb, as dark DME starters can throw off the color of lighter beers. But really, it doesn't matter much.

2) If I'm making a 1L starter, would using a 2 L soda bottle be okay? I don't have a flask. And seems silly but how do you sanitize aluminum foil?

Sounds fine. Make sure the inside is cleaned well with a percarbonate cleaner like Powdered Brewery Wash or OxiClean if possible. Otherwise, use the hottest water you can handle and mild dish detergent. Rinse, then sanitize the inside with StarSan or Iodophor. To sanitize foil, dunk it in the sanitizer or spray it on with a spray bottle, wait 30 seconds, then use immediately.

3) I don't have a stirring plate, I can give it a swirl as often as I can but between work and life that'll probably be once or twice each morning, stagnant for 10 hours, and a couple times in the evening. Is this a problem?

This will still work, but you'll get a lesser utilization of the DME over the same time frame due to reduced gas exchange.

4) Decanting? What? You let it go for a couple of days, then refrigerate the day before brewing, take out the day off, pour off liquid (what does this mean) and then allow it to go to room temp? Then I pour the contents into the cooled wort? Did I get this all straight?

After refrigerating the yeast, it should separate into a gelatinous yeast layer at the bottom and a clearish fluid at the top. Pour off almost all of the fluid, leaving the yeast layer in the flask and a small amount of liquid behind. That's decanting. Let the mixture warm for a few hours to room temperature. Sworl the yeast mixture like a madman just before pitching so you don't leave any behind.

Have another question on this topic (I think I'm close to having a good understanding of starters)

So I am planning to brew on Friday, I want to make my starter tomorrow. That will give it 3 days to go. I'll make it tomorrow, and then refridgerate it Thursday, take out, and decant Friday morning so it's ready to go. Sound good so far?

Here's my question. The yeast I'm using is one of the Wyeast activator packs, its currently refridgerated, if I want to make my starter tomorrow when should I take the Wyeast pack out and pop it? Do I leave it out for a couple hours before I add it to the boiled DME? Thanks!

I don't think its super crucial, but I would pop it at least two hours before pitching. Mostly in my mind to reduce thermal shock when pitching the yeast into the starter.

I'm reasonably certain that just smacking the pack and pitching right away wouldn't be too much of a big deal. You're still getting the yeast + the nutrient supplied in the bag into the wort, so as long as you don't pitch onto hot wort you'll be fine.

Have another question on this topic (I think I'm close to having a good understanding of starters)

So I am planning to brew on Friday, I want to make my starter tomorrow. That will give it 3 days to go. I'll make it tomorrow, and then refridgerate it Thursday, take out, and decant Friday morning so it's ready to go. Sound good so far?

Here's my question. The yeast I'm using is one of the Wyeast activator packs, its currently refridgerated, if I want to make my starter tomorrow when should I take the Wyeast pack out and pop it? Do I leave it out for a couple hours before I add it to the boiled DME? Thanks!

There should be instructions on the back of the package. Take out of fridge and let it come to room temp. Then you can smack the nutrient pack and wait 1-3 hours for the bag to swell. Since you are making a starter there is no reason to wait until the bag completely swells up. Once you see signs of swelling you know the yeast is healthy and you can pitch into your starter. You should see signs of liable yeast within the hour of smacking the pack, as long as your pack is at room temp.

RIC0 said:
If it's a normal beer and not some high gravity you can simply pitch the yeast and not use a starter and be fine.

IMO this is not great advice.....

Unless the beer is 1.040 or less a starter is always recommended.

To directly answer your last question, in reality since making a starter you can simply pull the pack from the fridge and pitch it into the cooled starter wort with no issues. If you are more comfortable smacking it then pull it tonight and smack it and by morning it will be nice and swollen:)

duboman said:
Unless the beer is 1.040 or less a starter is always recommended.

The question arose recently why Wyeast and white labs write on their containers that a single pack is good for a "normal" gravity wort. By normal, I mean up to about 1.060 or 1.065 (can't remember).

Apparently yeast calculators are made for people using washed yeast, which is assumed to be less viable. The rule of thumb is 2x. So while a calculator may say you need 200BB cells, a single (new!) smack pack is enough.

Not totally sure I buy it, but that's my understanding from some people on here. I like starters because I am new enough to think the are fun (plus I like the quick takeoff), but I'm not absolutely sure they are necessary. Can anyone shed any more light on this? I'll see if I can find the thread.

Can't find the thread where I asked the question and somebody gave a great answer. But I did find that Wyeast has a listed threshold of 1.060 (not 1.065, as I mentioned it could be in my previous post).

IMO this is not great advice.....

But it's the truth...:)

I think it depends on if a person wants to go and take the possible MANY steps to making a beer a little better if they can even do that or know if those extra steps even did anything. I've pitched dry yeast as is, rehydrated and made starters and made good beer every single time.

I made a 8.4% Tripel by using one pack of dry yeast that was simply rehydrated. OG 1.078 and it's friggon delicious.

For liquid yeast in my mind a starter is needed for any gravity beer but I simply use dry and thats it.

Help or don't. There's no need for personal attacks or arguments.

I agree but I don't see any personal attacks in this thread. I do however think a healthy debate is good as long as the subject is relevant to the topic of the thread.

I agree but I don't see any personal attacks in this thread. I do however think a healthy debate is good as long as the subject is relevant to the topic of the thread.

I too have no issue with some debate and don't feel as though this was a personal attack;)

I think there may be some confusion as the OP was discussing and questioning the use of liquid yeast and the other poster is discussing the use of dry yeast-at least that is what I am interpreting.

So............ as I previously stated and stick by: it is highly recommended that when using a liquid yeast, a starter should be made to achieve the proper pitch rate. The reason for this is that by the time the end user is ready to pitch the yeast the initial cell count/viability of the pack is generally less than what was originally packaged. While the package states they are adequate for beer up to 1.060, this is usually not the case based upon the viability.

In the book "Yeast" Chris White and Jamil both discuss this and the proper way to make a starter to achieve the desired pitch rate for the batch of beer and while the pack states one thing, they somewhat contradict this by discussing the need for a starter. A starter does two things- verify the viability of the existing cells and growing the yeast to the proper pitch rate. BTW, I highly recommend this book!

The yeast calculators that are out there do not only address the use of the slurry but also using both new dry yeast and liquid strains. IMO, Mr. Malty does a better job when using slurry and Yeastcalc does a better job when using new packages of yeast or if stepped starters are required.

When using dry yeast it is normal to just pitch the yeast. It is recommended to rehydrate but appears to be less of a factor. There are also two different size packages available and if using an 11gram pack, they are usually more than adequate to ferment any gravity size of beer. The production of dry yeast prevents degradation of cells and contains a lot of nutrient that allows for direct pitch with little consequence. When using the smaller packs there is possibility that 2 packs may be required for bigger beers and both calculators can help determine this.

The bottom line is this: Whatever you choose to do, the yeast will ferment the beer with or without a starter or with or without rehydrating. The potential for stress, off flavors or stalled/incomplete fermentation increases with the use of liquid yeast used without a starter.

In my own personal experience I have seen improvement in the attenuation of my beer, decrease in lag time(Growth phase) and improved quality of my final product. I can site actual side by side tastings of some of my earlier beer compared to those that have been made with improved process. In addition, I find that I can now consistently reproduce each beer I make time and again.

Obviously, there are many more factors involved in the production of quality beer but it is the yeast that makes the beer first and foremost. If you take care of the yeast and handle it properly each and every time you brew beer, the final product will be improved. Pitch rate, aeration, temperature control, nutrients are all important factors to consider when handling each strain of yeast for each batch of beer.

If you want to make things simple, use dry yeast and use the 11 gram packs. If you want to be able to brew certain styles of beer then the only choice you may have is to use liquid strains available and making a starter should be part of that process.:mug:

I too have no issue with some debate and don't feel as though this was a personal attack;)

Post got deleted for good reason. Back to topic now.

Must have been some harsh words to have 3 moderators comment on the same thread. Ok my bad, back to topic. I have yet to get into starters as I only have used liquid yeast once on a 1.052 OG beer and had no issues. The yeast fermented down to 1.012 without a starter. Although I did just buy a growler from Lauganitas brewery full of beer, and I plan on using the empty growler for starters.

Back