Smashing - Poll

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you do SMaSH brews

• Once to try

• It's a regular thing

• No, not really interested

• I plan to, like a good idea.

• ain't telling.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm doing a Pils / Saaz, double decoction with WLP830 tomorrow.
It'll be a long brewday and a long wait for the product.. It will have to be good!

Yeah, lots of guys have done that. It's called "Pilsner".

Or with minimal hopping, "Helles." ;) This is one (of many, including Pils/Saaz like beefeater) I'm considering for my planned w-34/70 harvest this weekend.

Or with minimal hopping, "Helles." ;) This is one (of many, including Pils/Saaz like beefeater) I'm considering for my planned w-34/70 harvest this weekend.

How do you like the W-34/70??

I see it's available in 11.5g sachets now. Would love to not have to wait for starters to finish...

I haven't done a SMaSH brew yet, but I will someday.

My beers are pretty simple as it is. Most of the time I use 2 grains, once in a while 3 grains. Only a few of my brews have used 4 or more grains.

As for hops, I almost always go with a single variety or use one hop for bittering and another for flavor/aroma.

We'll see! First use here. This was an emergency yeast; my 500ml - 3L stepped WLP830 starter went sour. Supposed to be the same strain.

I don't know if Fermentis is making 11.5g packs. The ones I got at AHS were clearly repackaged there.

We'll see! First use here. This was an emergency yeast; my 500ml - 3L stepped WLP830 starter went sour. Supposed to be the same strain.

I don't know if Fermentis is making 11.5g packs. The ones I got at AHS were clearly repackaged there.

Ok, I too have a 830 starter going that I'm not excited about.. Would love to have had a dry alternative on hand.

I found W-34/70 in 11.5g sachets in a Swedish webstore (http://www.humle.se/cgi-bin/web_sto...gi?product=driedYeast&cart_id=256628_25175 ); definitively factory packaged per the image.

Vienna/Columbus is in the ferm chamber with Apfelwein. What a glorius brew day it was!

I'll tell you about the SMaSH in about a month and a half.

I'm interested in how many of you have done.

It'd be good if you post the combination and variations.

I've stuck with

Fuggle and Maris otter
Highly recommended.

I've done a
balanced
Extra Malty
Extra Hoppy
Decoction
Oaked

I am going to do a Fuggle and Vienna next weekend.

10 lbs American Vienna
1oz Fuggle(4.9% - 90 minutes)

Strike with 12.5 quarts to target 153 degrees.
Sparge with 3 gallons at 170.

Primary for 3 weeks and bottle condition for 21 days.

This should turn out to be a nicely balanced quaffable brew.

This is the Pils/Hallertau SMaSH. I did a triple decoction and totally overshot my gravity target.... Waah. :D
3190373928_91203e1e27_o.jpg

Back