Where to get tart/sour cherries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarvInSTL

Reaction score
I've been wanting to make a sour cherry braggot and I think my recipe is where I want it, but so far have been unable to find any tart/sour cherries.

Where do my fellow HBT'ers get their tart/sour cherries from?

Thanks! :mug:

I have seen some at the grocery store near my house, they are in cans and located by the canned fruit section, look for a picture of a cherry pie, that's what most people use them for.

Right, tart cherries are used for cooking. Canned cherries will have a fair amount of sugar in the syrup. Cherry pie filling will be down right thick with it. The sugar will ferment out, but you'll have to consider it in your calculations.

By name, look for Montmorency and Balaton.

I use Oregon Fruit Products canned Montmorency Cherries. They're packed in water with no added sugar and are pasteurized.
518AdKHsoHL.jpg

I live in Michigan where we have tons of cherries. They have them in the frozen fruits isle at most grocery stores here. Although they are quite expensive, my last batch of cherry wheat I burned through over 20$ worth of cherrys.

If you cannt find any PM me and we can work something out.

First I want to thank everyone for their input!

The Oregon Fruit canned cherries look to be my best bet. Do you use them 1:1 replacement for fresh cherries?

Brewtopia said:
I use Oregon Fruit Products canned Montmorency Cherries. They're packed in water with no added sugar and are pasteurized.
View attachment 4519

yep, pound for pound. I used 10 lbs in a 5 gallon batch of Spiced Cherry Dubbel. Came out great.

Preservative (and oil) free dried tart cherries sold in bulk at Sprouts Market. Price per LB ranges depending on season and likeness to dried cranberries...

I'm guessing after 5 years he probably found them... Or gave up.

Back