Rice syrup solids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james41079

Reaction score
I just bought the American light BB kit and it has one pound of rice syrup solids. I was wondering if i added an extra pound of rice syrup solids would it have any ill effect on the beer. I have another recipe for a summer ale and it says to add 2#s of rice extract or syrup but i heard the rice syrup solids may not be fermentable so would i be adding it basically for taste,color, and other reasons with no alcohol addition?

Rice syrup solids are added because they have no taste, they are just there to boost the alcohol content and raise the amount of fermentable material in the beer without adding flavor or color.

FWIW, i have done a dozen or so extract brews, only 1 of which used rice syrup solids and it was BY FAR my least favorite taste wise.

I've used it also - it serves no more purpose than to add fermentables, as others have noted, without adding color. My one reservation is that if you are not in the habit of using a second stage, you might consider it for beers that have a rice component - they don't seem to get to be as clear as all barley brews.

Back