The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used the pan dough recipe from Peter Reinhart’s book “Pizza Quest” and ran with it. On 600d flour I used 150g AP flour and the rest was 00. It was delicious and so much lighter than it looked, I ate way too much. However I chickened out and cooked for 22 total before pulling and it needed another 10 for full crispy. It was a success!

IMG_3791.jpeg
IMG_3793.jpeg
IMG_3794.jpeg
IMG_3796.jpeg

Very delicious looking!

It must have been pizza night, I made two. Both with homemade sausage, sauce and provolone cheese. One was with pepperoni, for me, and the other with black olives and onion, for my wife. Both were thin crust and all AP flour.

No pictures, but trust me, very tasty. Leftovers tonight!

I
First pizza of the new year. Tried a new crust, worked out pretty good but operator error and it could have been better. Leftover ham, figs, and olives with a harissa sauce.
View attachment 838001
Figs on a pizza? Whole ones cut up? I have a bag of dried ones from Costco would these work and what is a harissa sauce like. I love them and it would be a good way to get figs into the kids.

A shout out to the people that posted pics of pizza with green olive, tried it a few times after seeing them here and really liked the flavor and added salty bite to the pizza, liked it better than black olives.

what is a harissa sauce like

Harissa is a lightly smoky spicy hot sauce type condiment from the middle east, heat level can vary. There was a restaurant near me that made their own I really liked, it was smoky like somewhere between chipotle and smoked paprika had a nice spicy flavor without a hot burn even though you could see the chili seeds.

I

Figs on a pizza? Whole ones cut up? I have a bag of dried ones from Costco would these work and what is a harissa sauce like. I love them and it would be a good way to get figs into the kids.
I used dried figs. Chopped up a good handful and tossed em on top. Turned out really good.

The above post has a good description of harissa. It’s one of my favorites to use for pizza sauce when we aren’t doing a traditional red. We make a lot of kitchen sink pizzas to use up leftovers. Things get creative sometimes

A shout out to the people that posted pics of pizza with green olive, tried it a few times after seeing them here and really liked the flavor and added salty bite to the pizza, liked it better than black olives.

Harissa is a lightly smoky spicy hot sauce type condiment from the middle east, heat level can vary. There was a restaurant near me that made their own I really liked, it was smoky like somewhere between chipotle and smoked paprika had a nice spicy flavor without a hot burn even though you could see the chili seeds.
Never had green olives on a pizza?! Mmm so good! Black and green together is a great combo.

On green olives topic, if you have never ever…on a hamburger with generous amounts of mayo or on your nachos

A couple months ago I attempted Vito’s Next level pizza dough and I ended up with a sticky, hard to work with dough. I may try it again with the knowledge I’ve gained. I have used a few refrigerated dough balls from the grocery store since. I’ve been messing around with sourdough since Thanksgiving and decided to try a sourdough pizza dough. I am really happy with how it turned out. It could use a couple tweaks but overall turned out nice.

Attachments

• IMG_4357.jpeg
    IMG_4357.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4367.jpeg
    IMG_4367.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4368.jpeg
    IMG_4368.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Got one of those pizza and rotisserie rings for my Weber. Just waiting on the weather to stop sucking.

@Oldskewl Vito's recipe is way too wet for me, even using the kitchen aid. I just have a tiny bit of less water or more flour and it works fine then. Maybe his flour is more absorbent than most...

Welcome to the group!

I get hungry every time I see a post on this thread, including yours! Very impressive oven and your creations!!
Thank you.

I did lot of research on wood fired pizza ovens. Its build by me and my father in law. Its well insulated. If you have pizzas for dinner you can cook something like meat for the lunch next day without reheating the oven.
But I am just learning the carft of pizza.

Im gonna go back some pages and read more about this thread

I'm sure you know, there's a lot of good books too. The folks here are very helpful too so I don't discount them either. I have picked up tips here and I've been making pizza for many years, probably longer than brewing beer.

That satisfyng sound what the pizza peel makes when you slide the pizza. Its like opening up a homebrew put for pizza.

You know you are about to bite into crunchy yet pillowy soft dough with tons of flavourable toppings.

Hope you like it

Got one of those pizza and rotisserie rings for my Weber. Just waiting on the weather to stop sucking.

@Oldskewl Vito's recipe is way too wet for me, even using the kitchen aid. I just have a tiny bit of less water or more flour and it works fine then. Maybe his flour is more absorbent than most...
I saw on FB group a couple people mentioned backing the water down to 350mL. I will give the lower water % a try the next time and work my way up as my process improves. Thanks for the advice!

Latest posts

Back