Question for those of you that have used Fermcap for the boil.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abatsch

Reaction score
I purchased some 25 gallon SS kettles that are on their way. My question is could using fermcap allow me to do a 20 gallon batch that would need a 23 gallon boil? I've seen a video online with a 50 gallon boil in a 55 gallon pot, and I'm currently using an eight gallon pot to do six to seven gallon boils. So this is somewhere in the middle of both of those. I haven't used Fermcap before. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I routinely pull off 7.25-7.5 gallon boils in an 8 gallon pot using FermCapS. The only thing I have to watch out for, for about the first 15 minutes, is too vigorous a boil. It's not a true boil over, but if it gets too vigorous it will still spill over.

Thanks for the info. Do you use one or two drops per gallon? And how many drops do you think the one ounce bottle has in it.

abatsch said:
I purchased some 25 gallon SS kettles that are on their way. My question is could using fermcap allow me to do a 20 gallon batch that would need a 23 gallon boil? I've seen a video online with a 50 gallon boil in a 55 gallon pot, and I'm currently using an eight gallon pot to do six to seven gallon boils. So this is somewhere in the middle of both of those. I haven't used Fermcap before. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Absolutely! FermcapS is magic. I routinely boil 13.5 gallons in my 15 gallon kettles with about 8-10 drops. Works amazingly well.

Thanks for the info. Do you use one or two drops per gallon? And how many drops do you think the one ounce bottle has in it.

The dropper bottle I have doesn't have any instructions, so what I was able to find online says to use 2-3 drops per gallon. So for my usual boil volume (7.25 gal) I use 15-20 drops and have never had a problem with either the low end or the high end of the range. Also, it's been expressed as a concern that it will mess with head retention, but that's not true, just in case you were wondering. As far as the number of drops, I don't know, but it's quite a bit. 1 ml is about (and I'm using the word 'about' loosely) 18 drops. There are 29.5 ml in an ounce, so 531 drops. Yeah, I'd say it's plenty for quite a while.

I only use 4-5 drops for an 8 gallon boil. I've never needed more and walk away from the boil without worry for extended periods.
If you want to use Fermcap in the fermenter to decrease blowoff and fill your carboy up, you will have to redose. However, don't do this until krausen has formed. The fermap will floc out with the yeast, so don't worry about it affecting head retention.

I use a drop per pre- boil volume...usually about 7-8 drops. Bottle says not to exceed 2 drops per gallon.

It's nice because it keeps on working during fermentation. I've never needed a blow-off tube in 100-plus batches.

Latest posts

Back