Too Sweet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coryfrey14

Reaction score
So far I have brewed 2 homebrews....1st one was the one that came with my Cooper's homebrew kit. This was a Cooper's Lager and a 23L batch. This ended with an apple-like taste. All directions were followed and all equipment thoroughly cleaned. 2nd batch was an American Light Ale this was a 5 gallon batch and also ended in a sweet taste. All consumers were delighted at the taste, except for me....mainly because I know that it wasnt supposed to be sweet so the batch was a failure. Im assuming ferementation did not finish but all temperature ranges and time ranges were followed so i am baffled. Anyone have any suggestions?:confused:

Did you control ferment temps? Did they give you their brewing sugar,or dextrose? That would make a difference. Also,the OS lager has bittering only,& uses an ale yeast. So it's really a light pale ale. A bit malt forward,like English ales. It sounds like ferment temps might not have been optimal,& no left on the yeast cake for sufficient time to clean up by products & settle out more. I got the same one with my Cooper's micro brew fermenter kit.

OG was fine.... My best guess is that ended the fermentation period early although I followed the directions.....my coopers fermenter does not bubble..... A separate problem in which I've solved on a seperate post this is a fermenter issue that does not affect the beer

That's it,basically. It has to reach FG in primary,then give it 3-5 days minimum to clean up by products of fermentation,& settle out more before priming & bottling. Then,give that one 4 weeks in the bottles,& it'd be good. At 7 weeks in the cooper's PET bottles,with the required 2 carb drops,it tends to over carbonate. I have pics in my gallery of my 1st HB...

It's not bad when brewed & matured properly. But the thing is,all OS cans have a little bittering only with Pride of Ringwood hops. They're designed that way so you can add your own flavor/aroma hops,etc. My wife's fermenting an SA summer ale clone recipe I came up with that uses the OS lager can as a base. We'll see at Thanksgiving how close it is.

Our first batch was a Coopers Lager as well, with the same sweet, cidery taste. We chalked it up to a total and complete lack of temperature control and bottling it a little early - we're finishing them off slowly, and they do get better with time (3 months in bottles now and the cider is almost gone)

Back