The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is exactly what I do. Bacon comes out great. It takes a few times to get good at getting the smoke at that temp though. Easier in the winter.

What brand do you guys recommend for an electric smoker? I just recently bought an Acorn to play/learn on. I had seen some good sales at Cabela's during xmas on the electrics.

I love my Masterbuilt. I never use the remote but the built in meat temp probe is really nice. I use it a lot and have had it a few years with no problems. It runs a hair warm but I adjust accordingly.

Just did a big brisket and two Boston Butts for the Pats tailgate and was really happy with them

I thought I remembered you and bird mentioning the Masterbuilt. Those were on sale. I'm pretty sure I saw the 30" w/ probe for $120. There was other models of temptation but I ran away because I have enough toys. Plus I always tend to buy more stuff for me when xmas shopping. Smoked bacon is the demon on my left shoulder whispering "buy me"

I thought I remembered you and bird mentioning the Masterbuilt. Those were on sale. I'm pretty sure I saw the 30" w/ probe for $120. There was other models of temptation but I ran away because I have enough toys. Plus I always tend to buy more stuff for me when xmas shopping. Smoked bacon is the demon on my left shoulder whispering "buy me"

Now I want one.

Melana keeps talking to me about pancetta and bacon, and I'm leaning towards starting yet a new pasttime.

You guys are very bad for my wallet.

Pancetta isn't smoked.... although I guess you could smoke it. I have a humidity-controlled meat curing closet and make pancetta with some regularity. It's amazing when it is that fresh. Really easy to do with a little patience.

I saw the Masterbuild on Woot for ~$200 a week or two back; have not seen it at $120.

I have the Masterbuilt as well. I have used it quite a bit. It is nice not having to monitor it quite as much as a traditional smoker. I have the one with the remote, meat probe and window. The window is useless, so don't worry about that. I like the remote so I can check the internal temp from inside the house. No trips back and forth to take a look on the display.

Pancetta isn't smoked.... although I guess you could smoke it. I have a humidity-controlled meat curing closet and make pancetta with some regularity. It's amazing when it is that fresh. Really easy to do with a little patience.

She keeps telling me that it's fantastic. I don't have a humidity controlled place ready, as my cheese cave (a former wine fridge) died.

But I think I will end up doing it.

I have the Masterbuilt as well. I have used it quite a bit. It is nice not having to monitor it quite as much as a traditional smoker. I have the one with the remote, meat probe and window. The window is useless, so don't worry about that. I like the remote so I can check the internal temp from inside the house. No trips back and forth to take a look on the display.

Yup. I remember you mentioning the window is pretty much useless and I'd read some reviewers state the same thing. These were without the window.

I'm sure that would be delicious, but wouldn't that just be bacon at that point?

In a round about way I guess it would be. Pancetta and bacon use slightly different curing salts (at least the way I do it they do) but then pancetta's dominant flavors are black pepper and juniper berries. Pancetta is also rolled into a thick log (hehehehe... i said "log") so any smoking wouldn't touch a majority of the meat.

The only time the window is useful is with a really quick smoke, like fish. Otherwise it gets smoked up and nearly opaque. I would also guess the heat leaves quicker through that than an insulated door.

I got the Masterbuilt 30". $180 on Amazon plus free shipping. I read the reviews and looked at some accessories and felt it was the best use of my cash. Plug it in, set the temp and walk away.

I picked up the Spencer stout yesterday and have it chilling in anticipation of a Pats victory celebration :rockin:

Failing that, I'll drink it in memory of one of the weirdest football seasons in Patriots history :drunk:

Either way, it's going down tonight :tank:

Cheers!

Hey fellow Massholers - just checking in from the wrong coast. Out here in Seattle for a week and a half. Landed last night and I'm already sick of blue and lime green. In search of good smoked salmon and the best beers - and don't forget to smile, and then GFY!

Hey fellow Massholers - just checking in from the wrong coast. Out here in Seattle for a week and a half. Landed last night and I'm already sick of blue and lime green. In search of good smoked salmon and the best beers - and don't forget to smile, and then GFY!

hey mort, missed ya last night. we had some great beers while filling the barrel

Word. I took a peek at replacing my 11 yo Durango Hemi LTD and it looks like I'll hold on to the beast for awhile longer.
I'm lucky that it's mechanically solid even while it's showing signs of skin cancer...

Cheers!

My (12-year old) Element is worth about $1,500 and needs $1,500 worth of work. That's not happening. Was looking at some midsized trucks, took a used Tacoma out for a spin last night. And what I don't understand; I'm buying used, trying to buy something three or four years old. And I'm seeing full-size Tundras that are just as cheap as Tacomas? I need the four doors, which limits me somewhat. But I'm test driving tonight a '12 Tundra, which is a HUGE freakin' truck, and it's a couple grand cheaper than the 4-door '12 Tacomas they have on the lot. I don't WANT a huge truck, per se, but it's stupid to not buy the bigger one, right? I'm not planning on doing anything stupid like buy a boat than needs to be towed, but if I can get the V-8 and all that space... it's stupid to pay more to get something smaller, right?

EDIT: Looked at non-Toyotas, too, and there's not much out there I'm seeing that's any cheaper.

My (12-year old) Element is worth about $1,500 and needs $1,500 worth of work. That's not happening. Was looking at some midsized trucks, took a used Tacoma out for a spin last night. And what I don't understand; I'm buying used, trying to buy something three or four years old. And I'm seeing full-size Tundras that are just as cheap as Tacomas? I need the four doors, which limits me somewhat. But I'm test driving tonight a '12 Tundra, which is a HUGE freakin' truck, and it's a couple grand cheaper than the 4-door '12 Tacomas they have on the lot. I don't WANT a huge truck, per se, but it's stupid to not buy the bigger one, right? I'm not planning on doing anything stupid like buy a boat than needs to be towed, but if I can get the V-8 and all that space... it's stupid to pay more to get something smaller, right?

EDIT: Looked at non-Toyotas, too, and there's not much out there I'm seeing that's any cheaper.

I've a 2008 Tacoma, and can't believe what I could sell it for. Of course, I can't believe what a ~2012 or newer sells for either, which is what I'd want to replace it with...

78k miles on this one, which I'm not loving. But it's only got four winters, which is probably more important out here than out by you.

Tacoma's go forever...78k is barely getting broken in. Mine has ~155k on it, and I've done nothing but change oil/filter, air filters, and rotate tires. New tires several times, and new spark plugs once. There's pretty much no maintenance on these things...

And, we've winter here, too :)

FB_IMG_1454200058776.jpg

I'm guessing not as much salt as around here, though.

This is a Tundra I'm leaning toward, BTW. Kind of wish it was a Tacoma (I don't NEED a huge truck), but it's the best deal I've seen and I dob't have a lot of time (Element is losing brake fluid and needs a new water pump, among many, many other things).

I LOVE my 2012 Tundra. Love it, love it, love it. It's way too big, I'll admit, but it rides nice, runs well, has four doors, and is just a great all around truck. It's in Texas with us now, and this is its fourth trip here. I bought new tires at 55000 or so miles, and had some oil changes but otherwise have put $0 into it. No problems with breaks, for example, which my 2004 Chevy chewed through. I think we've got near 80,000 miles on it now, give or take.

The gas mileage is right about 17 mpg over all. I like the way the rear seat folds, so we can have a "step" on one side for easy entry for kids and dogs. It can seat 6 (a very small butt in the middle in the front, but sometimes it's me) but definitely 4 large people very comfortably and 5 pretty ok as well. Usually, it's two adults in the front, and in the back either one 95 pound dog or that same dog and two car seats with kids in them. Better than most cars I've driven, that's for sure.

Back