Hail Simcoe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arturo7

Reaction score
I went ot the LHBS yesterday with a shopping list for a Cal Common. Started yakking with the proprietor while he was grinding the grain bill. He mentioned that they are out of Simcoe pellets and only a few bags of whole hops left.

So,... I'm mid-boil on an all-Simcoe Cal Common. The open bag is sitting next to my laptop. Man o man these things smell great!!

If there is a Simcoe bandwagon, I'm riding it like a short bus.

I too love Simcoe hops! I just understand when people say they smell like cat piss or a litter box. I've never gotten that from Simcoe and I use it A LOT!

I'd love to find Simcoe in bulk or even a rhizome or two! Just bottled my first ever simcoe + amarillo ipa, dry hopped with both as well and the smell was phenomenal!!!

My LHBS said there was a massive shortage of simcoe this year....

mine told me it had more to do with smaller amounts of crops and the time of year being between crops and not to get too worried about it yet

of course YMMV

i picked up 3oz of whole leaf and could smell it in my car the entire ride home - was glad i didn't get pulled over :D

I'm on the bus with you.

I have a pale ale in secondary with about 3 oz of simcoe (out of 6 total oz) and another oz dry hopped.

skeeordye11 said:
I love those damn hops so much, my dog's name is Simcoe. FTW.

That's a great dog name. My kids & wife are on me...I get to name it...just brewed my 2nd AG brew: Simcoe IPA. WOW! It won't last.

There is a shortage of many types of American hops this year. The wholesalers are already out of of several varieties, such as Amarillo.

I went ot the LHBS yesterday with a shopping list for a Cal Common. Started yakking with the proprietor while he was grinding the grain bill. He mentioned that they are out of Simcoe pellets and only a few bags of whole hops left.

So,... I'm mid-boil on an all-Simcoe Cal Common. The open bag is sitting next to my laptop. Man o man these things smell great!!

If there is a Simcoe bandwagon, I'm riding it like a short bus.

Sorry to resurrect this thread. But I'm interested to know how you All Simcoe Cal. Common came out, I have the ingrediuents but no niorthenr brewer, and figured, this might be a good sub.
Any change for a recipe/hop schedule?

Simcoe hops are fantastic... I just tried some Mosiac and they are really really good. Suppose to be the daughter of Simcoe. Check them out if you get a chance too.

Sorry to resurrect this thread. But I'm interested to know how you All Simcoe Cal. Common came out, I have the ingrediuents but no niorthenr brewer, and figured, this might be a good sub.
Any change for a recipe/hop schedule?

Brother I gotta tell ya, it was, and still is the best beer I have ever made. It's the one of few recipes I've ever brewed more than once. I used Yopper's Cal Common recipe and went a little heavier with the late boil hops. The IBU's were not out of line for a Cal Common. Did a healthy dry hop as well.

Unfortunately, I can't access Beersmith right now to give you the exact recipe. Good luck and happy brewing!!

Has anyone paired them with Nelson Sauvin? I've been thinkin about doing an APA with Simcoe/NS then pitching the same grain bill/hop schedule but in a Simcoe NS IIPA on that yeast cake.

Brewmex41 said:
Has anyone paired them with Nelson Sauvin? I've been thinkin about doing an APA with Simcoe/NS then pitching the same grain bill/hop schedule but in a Simcoe NS IIPA on that yeast cake.

I did a black IPA with simcoe and Nelson Sauvin! Holy WOW! Amazing combo for sure worth it.

Brewmex41 said:
This might be all the convincing I need lol

Simcoe for bittering, then 1:1 ratio at 10, 5 and dry hopping sound good?

Sounds like you need to send some to me lol!

arturo7 said:
Brother I gotta tell ya, it was, and still is the best beer I have ever made. It's the one of few recipes I've ever brewed more than once. I used Yopper's Cal Common recipe and went a little heavier with the late boil hops. The IBU's were not out of line for a Cal Common. Did a healthy dry hop as well.

Unfortunately, I can't access Beersmith right now to give you the exact recipe. Good luck and happy brewing!!

Awesome cheers. I know what I'm doing I'd been toying with the idea but couldn't find any feedback until yours. Will be using the BCS Recipe with your schedule I found it somewhere else lol

Ivypunx said:
I just did a black IPA with simcoe and magnum. Dry hopped with zythoes. I cant wait to taste it

Also sounds like you should send me some lol.

That sounds awesome what grain did you use for your black IPA?

arturo7 said:
Have you brewed it yet?

Nah not yet. Will be doing it soon and will post the recipe when I do. It's probably a couple of months away yet. Got NZ NHC2013 in about 2 months and my planned brews kinda take precedence.
Keep an eye on my blog when I do.
Thanks for your help btw

Have you brewed it yet?

Heres your post, based on Yoopers recipe I think. In case you were interested....
Originally Posted by arturo7
Yooper's recipe kicks butt.

The last couple times I made it I substituted Simcoe hops. Holy cow! What a great result.

for 5 gal
1/2 oz @ 60m
1/2 oz @ 45
1/2 oz @ 15
1/2 oz @ 10
1/2 oz @ flameout
1 oz dry ]

Back