help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petemac

Reaction score
Hi all.
Have just successfully made a batch of scottish heavy brew from the tin and barrelled 35 pints:rockin::rockin::mug::drunk:

There is now after the 7 day in barrel settling period a souring taste,
The first 2 pints were really good but now is tasting odd and i dont know what is best to do, it still has the desired effect but gets harder to consume:confused::confused:

Give it more time. I don't know why the first 2 were so good, they probably shouldn't have been ready yet.

Hello Petemac'

The "my beer tastes sour" issue is difficult as an early off flavor may not indicate a problem. If I were in the neighborhood, my first inclination would be to get a taste of the beer before diagnosing. I wish I could visit you in the U.K. (as I did a semester abroad there and it was brilliant), but alas its not in the cards.

Here are my concerns:
1) It sounds like the beer is relatively young for such a heavy beer. It would be helpful to know the timeframe from the initial brew, to the primary/secondary and to "barreling" (I assume you mean kegging, or at least know what you mean by barreling). If you have a link to the recipe, product you bought or a description that might help.
2) the "sour" description is always curious. Could you be more descriptive about the specific flavor, i.e. is it sharp, acidic, or drying, is the mouthfeel funny (like slick), is the beer cloudy, is the beer overcarbonated, or is the sour flavor tart (might indicate a lactobacillus infection), a bit cheese-like, or something else?
3) If it were sour as you said, and considering your verbage, "its getting hard to drink" leads me to believe that you have a contaminant in your beer. The human palate is remarkable in the ability to detect spoilants. The difficulty to swallow can precede flavor or odor detection of a spoilant". In my experience the most common is wild-yeast infection (the airborne kind that lives in houselholds).

If the beer is young, give it a month in cool storage (unless by barreling you meant serving real ale style and it has been exposed to the air). If it is contaminated, you'll have more evidence. If not, it may very well taste better.

Finally, consider purchasing the book "How to Brew" by John Palmer or at the very least visit his website at www.howtobrew.com. Most off all, keep learning and keep brewing!

Cheers

A scottish heavy needs to age for a few months before it hits its stride. If you are looking for a beer to drink quickly, brew a lower ABV style.
The higher the gravity, the longer it should age. The taste that you are experiencing is what we call "green". Let it sit for a while and it will improve. While you are waiting, brew another!

Back