Need to lighten my Dubbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayInJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
According to "style" my Dubbel is way too dark...and I'd love some help lightening it up without changing the flavor that much.

Here's the recipe:

10lbs Belgian Pilsner
2lbs CaraMuich
2lbs Special B
.5lbs Carafa 1
1lbs Dark Candi Syrup

The Spcial B is rated at 140 and the Carafa 1 at 350 but in order for me to drop the whole thing down into the style SRM 10-17 I'd have to drop both all together.

Is it possible to lighten it this much and retain the flavor?
Is there such a thing as a "Dark Dubbel"?

Whoa, that's an overwhelming dubbel.

Looking at this, you've just got way too high of specialty malts for my tastes. You've got 4 lbs of caramel malts in there -- that's just crazy as far as I'm concerned, especially 2 lbs of Special B which can be unpleasantly dominating if too much is used. My recommendation to you is to drop the CaraMunich to less than 1 lb (if it were me, I'd used 1/2 lb), drop the Special B to 1/2 lb or less (I'd use 1/4 lb), and probably drop the Carafa I completely (presuming the Carafa was chosen as the huskless carafa it's just adding color & you don't need the color).

You'd have a perfectly great dubbel with
10 lb Pilsner
.5 lb Caramunich
.25 lb Special B
1 lb dark candi syrup

You may need to add to the Pils malt depending on gravity estimates after dropping the other malts -- I don't have BeerSmith in front of me.

Whoa, that's an overwhelming dubbel.

Looking at this, you've just got way too high of specialty malts for my tastes. You've got 4 lbs of caramel malts in there -- that's just crazy as far as I'm concerned, especially 2 lbs of Special B which can be unpleasantly dominating if too much is used. My recommendation to you is to drop the CaraMunich to less than 1 lb (if it were me, I'd used 1/2 lb), drop the Special B to 1/2 lb or less (I'd use 1/4 lb), and probably drop the Carafa I completely (presuming the Carafa was chosen as the huskless carafa it's just adding color & you don't need the color).

You'd have a perfectly great dubbel with
10 lb Pilsner
.5 lb Caramunich
.25 lb Special B
1 lb dark candi syrup

You may need to add to the Pils malt depending on gravity estimates after dropping the other malts -- I don't have BeerSmith in front of me.

+1 he is right on

2# of special B? That is way to much of any specialty grain let alone a dark one like special B.

Oh dear god...I did say 2lbs of B didn't I?

That should have been .25...I hope that's not what I ordered.

Hate to loose the Caramunich...but I guess that's what it will take.

EDIT: And I just checked my BW Recipe ...yeah I ordered 2lbs of B, guess that will be an interesting beverage.

Back