Fermentation redux?? (Am I stuck?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meporsche

Reaction score
Hello,

Brewed a batch of (extract) wheat/amber/honey @ 1.050 and pitched started Munton Ale. I had some extra yeast nutrient from my winemaking so I decided to NOT follow Charlie P's advice and I added 1 tbsp of nutrient before I pitched the working yeast.

Fermenation was VERY active within 4 hours. 12 hours later the stuff was practically boiling, I was continually cleaning my airlock of foam and bits of hop leaf (dry hopped) and refitting . 36 hours after pitching, my fermentation, while not completely stopped, is for all practical puposes not moving.

I have not yet taken another SG reading as I'm not crazy about opening up the beer at this point. It certainly appears that the nutrient was overkill.

QUestion is: Anyone have any experience here? Should I pitch another packet? Wait and see if fermentation starts again? Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew? Any help out there?

Thanks,

Darwin

I would just leave it a few more days and then take a gravity reading. It's very possible that it's done. Before I had ferm temp control, I had batches completely ferment out in 2 days and had one I swear went overnight. What was your ferm temp? Just let it sit and take the reading before doing anything.

As far as the dry-hopping... why were you dry-hopping in the primary before fermentation was complete. I know it's personal preference, but I think most homebrewers and almost all commercial brewers hop after primary fermentation is complete.

What was your ferm temp?

I started out about 79 deg and it stabilzed about 68 deg

why were you dry-hopping in the primary before fermentation was complete.

Not sure, sort of a spur of the moment thing. And I guess I didn't want to muck up my secondary (being too lazy to want to rack an extra time to clarify I suppose). I haven't dry hopped in 10 years, maybe I shouldn't be now.

I guess I'll rack it to a sec in 5 days and if the SG is too high pitch again. WHat's the worst that can happen?

update: Swirled the fermenter a bit as I had nothing else to do and Hoohah! Getting a gurgle every 15 seconds. Too early to tell but I may have a successful re-start.

update: Swirled the fermenter a bit as I had nothing else to do and Hoohah! Getting a gurgle every 15 seconds. Too early to tell but I may have a successful re-start.

Glad to hear it. Give it some time and it should be fine.

Being somewhat of a hop-head, I encourage dry-hopping (when appropriate) - you get aromas you can't get any other way (not even at flameout or whirlpool). The more I listen to pro brewers, the more I realize how particular people can be about dry-hopping and how much variation can exist.

Back