Belgian Golden Strong Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lanemag

Reaction score
I brewed my first original all grain recipe last night and everything went fine. When the wort had chilled to 75 I aerated it with my oxygen stone and then pitched the yeast. I put the carboy in my refrigerator to cool it to around 65 but accidentally fell asleep on the couch. I woke up and rushed to the fridge and took the carboy out at 52. Its sitting at a comfortable 65 now but my question is do you think that it was too cold for too long? Im just hoping I didn't screw up my fermentation and this whole beer, its my baby.

"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world" -Kaiser Wilhelm

It should be fine. What yeast did you use? Some of the Belgian yeasts (wlp500 or the Wyeast Abbey) are VERY slow to start up, even with proper pitching. Do not worry too much if you don't see obvious signs of fermentation for a couple days. Trust in your sanitation.

I double pitched it with WLP570 and by the end of the day I was fermenting strong. I was just worried that I had screwed up my first brainchild. Thanks for the encouragement

Latest posts

Back