bad alcohol smell/taste...is it in my head? Bevarian Dunkel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arover

Reaction score
So I bottled my dunkel a few days ago, giving it a taste as I bottled. It had the beautiful, classic taste of a dunkel, with a nice full body..at first. One thing I noticed though, maybe it's just me, but I feel like it smells a little bit like vodka? And from that, I think either I'm tasting a slight strong alcohol aftertaste-or my mind is playing tricks on me. I'm thinking it could be from the alcohol boost I added (from AHS) to my kit (AHS Bevarian Dunkel). I wanted to give it a try, so I figured I'd throw it into a brew that was already a little strong, as opposed to throwing it into a lower gravity beer. The OG was about 1.062 (as opposed to 1.054 I think), with a FG of 1.013. Anyways, I doubt it would be some of the vodka that may have spilled into the batch from the airlock. I'm hoping it'll settle out over time...if not...it's going to be one pretty odd dunkel.

Anyways, has anyone else had an experience like this?

Back