Dilluting My Beer In Mid-fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi. I recently started brewing an marzen from a kit from Northern Brewer. My OG read approximately 1.068 at the start, whereas the intended OG is supposed to be 1.058. I checked the fermenter and instead of having 5 gallons of beer in it, it has about 4.25. My SG reading right now is approximately 1.030, so it still has a ways to go. What I'm wondering is whether or not I should add more water to bring it up to the 5 gallon mark during fermentation or if I should wait until afterward. I'm mostly concerned about excessive ester production due to the gravity being so high. I'm also wondering if it would be better to add it during fermentation so the yeast eats up more of the oxygen that may be in the water. Has anyone tried this before? What were your results like?

Hi. I recently started brewing an marzen from a kit from Northern Brewer. My OG read approximately 1.068 at the start, whereas the intended OG is supposed to be 1.058. I checked the fermenter and instead of having 5 gallons of beer in it, it has about 4.25. My SG reading right now is approximately 1.030, so it still has a ways to go. What I'm wondering is whether or not I should add more water to bring it up to the 5 gallon mark during fermentation or if I should wait until afterward. I'm mostly concerned about excessive ester production due to the gravity being so high. I'm also wondering if it would be better to add it during fermentation so the yeast eats up more of the oxygen that may be in the water. Has anyone tried this before? What were your results like?
I wouldn't. You can mix it with sprite before you drink it if it's too strong....

Add the extra water at bottling time. Just be sure you boil and cool it prior to that. Excess oxygen in the water will escape with the water at boiling temps. BTW, water is FULL of oxygen by nature. H2O anyone?

Also, if you can keep your fermentation temps low you should be just fine with little risk of esters. Temperature drives esters more than gravity does unless you WAY under pitch.

I would leave it alone and enjoy a beer a with slightly higher ABV:)

As for ester production, the gravity of the beer will not do that but the temperature you ferment at will, if the temps are too high you will get more ester production so pay attention to your fermentation temperature controls:)

Excess oxygen in the water will escape with the water at boiling temps. BTW, water is FULL of oxygen by nature. H2O anyone?

LOL. Really?:confused:

And here I always thought that the oxygen atom bound to the two hydrogen atoms (at a unique 104.5* angle) to form the water molecule was a totally different critter than the oxygen molecules (O2) which can be in solution (in amounts depending on temperature, pressure, concentration, etc.).

I stand corrected.

Oh, don't try to dilute your beer while it's fermenting.

I've heard that some craft breweries dillute their beer after it's done fermenting with pretty good results, but what I'm wondering is if there are any reasons not to dillute beer during the fermentation.

Yes, you can add water. You can do it now, before fermentation finishes. That's what I'd do.

Ideally, you'd pour it in very gently as to not aerate the beer as fermentation slows.

I disagree Yoop, and agree with Travestian, though not for his H2O comment. Water from a tap or bottle or filter or whatever is going to have dissolved oxygen in it.

Adding almost a gallon of oxygenated/aerated water when fermentation already over halfway complete is going to oxidize your beer. May not result in an immediate off flavor, but it isn't something I would risk.

I disagree Yoop, and agree with Travestian, though not for his H2O comment. Water from a tap or bottle or filter or whatever is going to have dissolved oxygen in it.

Adding almost a gallon of oxygenated/aerated water when fermentation already over halfway complete is going to oxidize your beer. May not result in an immediate off flavor, but it isn't something I would risk.

How would it oxidize? Assuming that the water sit outs to dechlorinate, or is treated with campden (stirring well to off-gas), the amount of dissolved oxygen in it is minimal. If it's not poured in and gently added, and the fermentation isn't over, I don't see the mechanism by which it could oxidize.

I'm an old winemaker. While we take great pains to avoid oxidation, topping up in the carboy is routinely done and without oxidation issues.

Back