Yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBKing

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

My apologies if this question has been answered before. I searched the forum for a bit but didnt come across it.

I'm a new brewer, I have been brewing since last Christmas. I'm new enough that I'm still brewing out of the Brewers Best kits (cut me some slack!).

Heres the prob: I was making a Russian Imperial Stout for my brothers birthday a week ago. When I went to get that kit, I also got a kit of Weizenbier so I didnt have to make 2 trips.

Anyways, I brewed up the Stout, only to realize that the kit was missing the yeast packet! So you know what I did (doh!) I just took the yeast out of the weizenbier and tossed it in with the stout.

And now I cant remember what kind of yeast it was that I should use for the weizenbier. Any suggestions?

And will using the wrong yeast with the Stout affect it enough that my brother will notice it?

Thanks everyone!

Don't pitch hefeweizen yeast into a stout :( Some yeasts are more neutral in flavor and can be subbed. For example you could use and english ale yeast or an american ale yeast for a stout. Hefe yeasts however are extremely specific. They have strong banana and/or clove flavors, such that will be extremely out of place in a stout.

If you have the time and resources I'd brew the batch again, this time pitching the correct yeast. I can't imagine a russian imperial stout being any good with a weizen yeast. It might be ok however, it's just something I've never experienced. If you are trying to present a traditional example of the style however you aren't going to be happy with what you will get from your current batch.

For the hefeweizen try wyeast 3068 or white labs WLP300

Don't pitch hefeweizen yeast into a stout :( Some yeasts are more neutral in flavor and can be subbed. For example you could use and english ale yeast or an american ale yeast for a stout. Hefe yeasts however are extremely specific. They have strong banana and/or clove flavors, such that will be extremely out of place in a stout.

If you have the time and resources I'd brew the batch again, this time pitching the correct yeast. I can't imagine a russian imperial stout being any good with a weizen yeast. It might be ok however, it's just something I've never experienced. If you are trying to present a traditional example of the style however you aren't going to be happy with what you will get from your current batch.

For the hefeweizen try wyeast 3068 or white labs WLP300

I appreciate the advice.

Yeah, I felt like an ass for throwing the wrong yeast in. I knew when I was doing it that I was being a heretic. But it was either that or baking yeast, and I know baking yeast is a no no.

Looks like I'll have to tell my bro what happened and tell em I'll brew em another batch. Gosh darn it.

Actually, baking yeast will work. A while back, a guy posted about an emergency use of it. I tracked the thread until he reported the results, which were entirely passable, he reported.

I've never had the guts to try it myself of course...

Anyway, wait and see - your beer will most likely be good, maybe just not in accordance with the flavor norms for the type. However, make sure you use the right yeast for your hefe when the time comes.

I appreciate the advice.

Yeah, I felt like an ass for throwing the wrong yeast in. I knew when I was doing it that I was being a heretic. But it was either that or baking yeast, and I know baking yeast is a no no.

Looks like I'll have to tell my bro what happened and tell em I'll brew em another batch. Gosh darn it.

No need to feel like an ass, you did what you needed to do to finish your beer!
Relax! :D

Now there probably were other options that you could have done, but don't worry about it.

If I were you then, yeah I would go get another kit and try again, since this was probably the style you were going for.

But as for the batch you have, let it ferment.
Bottle it, let it age and try it! It may be something you like. :cross:

The point I'm trying to make is, there is no right or wrong.
If you make it, and don't like it I bet you won't do it again!
Relax! :mug:

Hello everyone.
I'm a new brewer, I have been brewing since last Christmas.

Amazing how so many new brewers start at Christmas time. Some folks get all the best presents! :D

On your OP... You won't end up with exactly the beer you planned on making, but you'll have made beer, and it will be good beer, and you will drink it, and you will be happy. :mug:

Thanks for the support everyone.

I'm just hoping that my brother will be happy with it. It is his birthday present afterall.

Would anyone happen to have a easy non-kit recipe for Imperial Stout? I'm gonna shoot to make him some more for X-Mas the RIGHT way :) and I think he would be pumped if he knew I did it without a kit.

Actually, baking yeast will work. A while back, a guy posted about an emergency use of it. I tracked the thread until he reported the results, which were entirely passable, he reported.

I've never had the guts to try it myself of course...

Anyway, wait and see - your beer will most likely be good, maybe just not in accordance with the flavor norms for the type. However, make sure you use the right yeast for your hefe when the time comes.

Wow. News to me.

After scouring the internet when I first thought about home-brewing I came away with the impression that using baking yeast was No Bueno.

Guess ya learn something new everyday.

Would anyone happen to have a easy non-kit recipe for Imperial Stout? I'm gonna shoot to make him some more for X-Mas the RIGHT way :) and I think he would be pumped if he knew I did it without a kit.

This is the last IS I made:
http://www.ratebeer.com/Recipe.asp?RecipeID=100

I replaced some of the hops because at the time my LHBS wouldn't let anyone by more than 4oz. per batch.
If you want I'll post what I did later tonight.

Amazing how so many new brewers start at Christmas time. Some folks get all the best presents! :D

My first kit was my 1st Anniversary gift from my wife! Best. Gift. Ever! :D

Wow. News to me.

After scouring the internet when I first thought about home-brewing I came away with the impression that using baking yeast was No Bueno.

Guess ya learn something new everyday.

In my experience, the only absolute rule to home brewing is that there are no absolute rules. This thread has me thinking that I will need to try brewing with baker's yeast as an experiment.

Back