Shipping yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schneemann

Reaction score
I ordered a recipe kit from AHS. It came with White Labs liquid yeast. I opted for the ice pack because it was being shipped from TX to MD. I'm guessing the shipping was about 5 business days, so by the time it got here that ice pack was basically worthless. Any idea what all this time in the August heat did to my yeasties?

I just did the same thing from Homebrewers Outpost in Arizona and they shipped my kit to me via USPS Priority Mail which arrived in 3 days and my yeast was fine without an ice pack.

I had the same exact situation. I made a starter and they're just fine.

It should be fine. Keep me posted.

We ship out about 1,000 liquid yeasts per month and we only have 1 or 2 a month that actually have a problem.

Forrest

I order all my yeast by UPS and the ice pack is always thawed. I have never had dead yeast yet. I always use a starter, so I would recommend one just in case. It could make for a slow start. The other thing you could do is get the Wyeast smack packs, they will let you know before hand if they are in trouble.

I had yeast sit in a UPS truck over the July 4th holiday weekend. To be sure they were still alive I made a starter. It was my first starter I had ever made and it was done to make sure the yeast were still alive. Everything came out fine. Final verdict: It's probably going to be just fine.

Back