min size for 16 gallon ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apoxbrew

Reaction score
would a 20 gallon vessle (e.g. brute trash can) be adequate for 16 gallons of wort or would i have crazy blow-out?

i can get the 30, but if the 20 should be okay, i'd rather go with the smaller size.

thanks!!

20 should be fine, I usually go with 20% freeboard on the fermenter and have a few messes but nothing substantial.

20%? 30%? Where do these numbers come from?

Before I had a way to control temps, I had blowoffs that would have needed 100% head space to contain it, but now it's not an issue.

20%? 30%? Where do these numbers come from?

Before I had a way to control temps, I had blowoffs that would have needed 100% head space to contain it, but now it's not an issue.

I read it in one of the homebrewing books...not sure which one now, because I've read about every one available :)

It also depends on the yeast. 3068 will make a mess at 30% headspace and a lager yeast would be fine at 10% if it was at the proper temp.

i'm using 1056 and control temp no problem now. thanks gents... will go with the 20 gal.

Back