Use of 2 story house to support vine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undertow

Reaction score
I have a section of my house that has good sunlight exposure where the level of the gutter is about 20-25 feet above ground. Has anyone tried to use an existing structure to support their hops?

I am envisioning that the roping could be staked at the ground and run to some sort of support from the house. Any drawbacks from this. It is vinyl siding, so I would want to keep it away from the house.

Thoughts?

people do it all the time, works great. The only problem I have seen (old fam friend) was that his dark house absorbed a lot of heat and dried/burnt the vines. This didnt happen very often once every cpl seasons. Other then that, it is a great idea in my mind.

This will be my first year growing hops and this is what I plan on doing. The Rhizomes have already been pre-ordered..

Do it. Hops are easy to grow and don't weigh much, nor will they likely shoot runners under the vinyl gaps - and you need to cut them to the ground every year! Don't expect much the first couple of years. Keep only the best looking half dozen shoots per rizome, train them up the string, and fertilize with ash to start the year. Keep it up over a couple of years and you'll be VERY happy!!!!

All you need to do is put a hook every third beam or so and run twine down. Hop bines are light and don't need much support.

How light are we talking about here? Are they light enough that if I am only growing 2 bines I could use the aluminum guttering for support? (yeesh... that doesn't sound like a great idea).

I have a 20 inch or so overhang from the edge of the roof to the house, so I guess I am not as worried about vines getting in btwn the siding. I am just trying to envision an anchoring point that does not include me cutting/piercing the siding. Any ideas?

I would use a normal eye screw (i would think 1.5" long should do it) put that in the joist on the overhang. Use a stud finder to find where it is, pre drill and screw it in there. Do not use the gutters, that will be far tooo much weight for them with the wind blowing. This should be a pretty quick and easy job with the majority of your time spent moving the ladder.

Good Luck and Happy Growing!

A good plant will end up around 15 pounds, so I wouldn't try the gutters. You could put the hooks into the board that supports the gutter.

I'm going to do something very similar. At first I was thinking of only using an eyelet and running the twine through it but then I thought about harvesting. So I bought hooks like you see on the end of a dog chain to hook into the eyelet. This should make it easier to bring down come harvesting time and I can keep the eyelets installed for next year.

This is what I do and it works great.

Piece of half inch rebar driven into the ground next to the plant, with about a foot protruding. Steel ring welded to the top of that. Vinyl coated steel clothesline wire running from the ring to the snap clip which hooks to the eyebolt on the bottom edge of the house's facsia board. House is bright yellow and the wall faces south.

I used string in the past but after several experiences with stretched and/or broken strings I finally decided to spend a bit more time on a permanent solution.

I have had excellent results.
It is especially nice to be able to take the bines down and put them back up a couple times at harvest, as not all the hops are ready for harvest at the exact same time. It is also much easier to pick them with the bines laying on the lawn rather than 20 feet up in the air.

Back