Has anyone tried to build this DIY oxygenator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems over the top really.

I just use a plugged silicon hose with a bunch of tiny holes drilled in it, lay it on the bottom and I get the entire wort to foam up with oxygen, works great.
As well as being super cheap.

Seems over the top really.

I just use a plugged silicon hose with a bunch of tiny holes drilled in it, lay it on the bottom and I get the entire wort to foam up with oxygen, works great.
As well as being super cheap.

I don't get it....do you attach a pump to it....what about a filter?

I built one similar to his a couple of months ago and love it. I didn't see his video at the time but the design is very similar.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-simple-line-o2-injector-199992/

I've used it on a few batches and find it to be very effective. Cheap and simple to build. With my pump, plate heat exchanger and inline O2 injector I get 5 gal. of fully oxygenated wort at 62F in five minutes with little effort and no risk of contamination.

I recently bought a O2 test kit and plan on running some dissolved O2 vs. flow rate tests. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I don't get it....do you attach a pump to it....what about a filter?

I'm assuming he means his o2 line is plugged at the end and he drilled holes in that so the o2 comes out the holes of the plugged line which is at the bottom of his primary with the cooled wort.

With this hobby, there are always different ways to do things. Instead of the holes in the line, you can buy a diffuser. Instead of compressed o2, you can just shake the crap out of it.

I built one similar to his a couple of months ago and love it. I didn't see his video at the time but the design is very similar.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-simple-line-o2-injector-199992/

I've used it on a few batches and find it to be very effective. Cheap and simple to build. With my pump, plate heat exchanger and inline O2 injector I get 5 gal. of fully oxygenated wort at 62F in five minutes with little effort and no risk of contamination.

I recently bought a O2 test kit and plan on running some dissolved O2 vs. flow rate tests. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Looks pretty much what he did in the video. Glad to hear that it works so well.

What do you have your o2 output at?

I have a large oxygen tank as part of my oxy acetylene torch set up.

Is that oxygen safe to use to oxygentate beer?

My brother is a machinist and recomended against using it as he didn't feel anything used in an industrial setting shoud be used with food products. While my garage isn't quit and industrial setting I understand his stance, but wanted to get a few more opinions before completely writing the idea off...

Thanks and Cheers!

I use hospital grade oxygen from a hospital grade pressure bottle.

But I would try using oxygen from the oxy/acetylene rig until someone tells you that you can not and why

I'm assuming he means his o2 line is plugged at the end and he drilled holes in that so the o2 comes out the holes of the plugged line which is at the bottom of his primary with the cooled wort.

With this hobby, there are always different ways to do things. Instead of the holes in the line, you can buy a diffuser. Instead of compressed o2, you can just shake the crap out of it.

Yeah thats right

Welding grade oxygen is nearly identical to medical grade as far as purity. Research grade is the highest. Airgas.com has a chart listing various grades. Medical grade has more container restrictions however. You can use welding grade with no problems.

mmurray said:
I have a large oxygen tank as part of my oxy acetylene torch set up.

Is that oxygen safe to use to oxygentate beer?

My brother is a machinist and recomended against using it as he didn't feel anything used in an industrial setting shoud be used with food products. While my garage isn't quit and industrial setting I understand his stance, but wanted to get a few more opinions before completely writing the idea off...

Thanks and Cheers!

The main problem with that is the condition of the tank. Industrial gas tanks are notoriously filthy. Rust is a particular issue with them. If your tanks is stainless or aluminum this is not such a concern but industrial tanks are majority steel, and are left in conditions with extreme temperature changes, resulting in rust inside.

You can get a filter for this, but I'd rather go with a clean dedicated tank.

Looks pretty much what he did in the video. Glad to hear that it works so well.

What do you have your o2 output at?

Currently 1 ltr/min and I pump approx. 1 gal/min. The O2 stays in contact with the wort for about 6 feet inside 3/8" diameter silicone tubing and then down the out tube of a Corney keg. The O2 that doesn't dissolve while in the tubing has to bubble up through the wort from the bottom of the keg while filling.

welding grade oxygen is nearly identical to medical grade as far as purity. Research grade is the highest. Airgas.com has a chart listing various grades. Medical grade has more container restrictions however. You can use welding grade with no problems.

+1

The main problem with that is the condition of the tank. Industrial gas tanks are notoriously filthy. Rust is a particular issue with them. If your tanks is stainless or aluminum this is not such a concern but industrial tanks are majority steel, and are left in conditions with extreme temperature changes, resulting in rust inside.

You can get a filter for this, but I'd rather go with a clean dedicated tank.

The only real difference between any grade of oxygen is the moisture content, none have a high enough moisture content to make condensation a factor inside the tanks. If these tanks were rusting away from the inside out they would not be using them. Stop in a gas shop and watch the O2 cleaning process and have a look in a well used tank.

Back