frozen yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fightingswede

Reaction score
I just got a package from UPS. The jackasses set the package in my pickup truck for some reason (it's sitting outside) and it is 10 degrees outside. So the yeast (through the activator pack) feels of the same consistency of a snow cone! The yeast is 1084 Irish Ale. Think it's worthless? Does it have to be frozen solid? I know that I'll find out when I let it thaw and smack it, but if it is sure to be toast, I want to go ahead and order another pack. Thanks.

It's probably not worthless, but could have a low cell count as ice crystals damage the yeast cell walls. I'd definitely make a starter with it a day or two ahead of brew day to be sure they're healthy.

i had a question along the same lines... my kit was in the garage and it was around 25 degrees over night.. i forgot it out there... the yeast is a dry yeast tho.. is it still good.. anyone know?

Latest posts

Back