Any experience with purchasing water bottles from distributors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCH

Reaction score
I've talked to a local company that distributes spring water to local businesses. They said I could purchase 5 gallons of spring water in a plastic carboy for $8.25 plus a $6.00 bottle deposit. I mentioned that I needed the water for brewing and she quickly added that they do not want me "brewing" in one of their bottles because it leaves a sediment in the bottom.

Well, here's my question, would they frown upon me paying the $13.25 and then not returning the bottle??

Does anyone have any experience doing this?

Sure would be nice to purchase 2 or 3 for use as secondaries. But they've already informed me that they do not sell their bottles.

why not go to lowes or homedepot or walmart and get one of thier 5 gallon bottles? thing is you want to check the recyle code. and if its ozark they are still using 7's and you want 1 or 2. i just went through everyone of the bottles at lowes last week all # 7's and homedepot are all # 7's

why not go to lowes or homedepot or walmart and get one of thier 5 gallon bottles? thing is you want to check the recyle code. and if its ozark they are still using 7's and you want 1 or 2. i just went through everyone of the bottles at lowes last week all # 7's and homedepot are all # 7's

The nearest Lowes and Home Depot is over an hour away. Plus, the local Wal-mart does not sell 5 gallons.

This company is Mountain Valley and all of their's are 1's.

A lot of grocery stores carry waterbottles as well these days and they are much cheeper, check the bottoms like pen said....

I use 3 gallon ones for 2.5 gallon test batches and krogers has them for 5 bucks and I thick 8 for the 5 gallon ones.

Be advised that most #7 bottles leach Bisphenol A. And most people consider that the gas permeablity of #7 bottles make them unsuitable for secondaries.

Also paying a deposit does not make them yours to do with as you please.

Consider getting some cornie kegs, they make fastastic secondaries they are light weight, rugged, and you don't have to worry about exposure to light.

Also paying a deposit does not make them yours to do with as you please.

That's what I was afraid of. I just purchased some cornies from a company that usually charges a $15 deposit for them. Friend of mine that owns the place just rang up a misc. receipt and sold me some for $15.

Was kind of hoping that as long as the water company had my $6 bucks that they wouldn't mind if I didn't return them each time.

Back