Marsh Rosemary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i did find a partial answer to my question at:

http://www.gruitale.com/bot_wildrosemary.htm

seems that this website states that:

"...Availability: unavailable, but it's North American counterpart
Labrador Tea is a satisfactory alternative...

...ABOUT THE LEDUMS

Marsh rosemary has long been referred to as Ledum Palustre L.. As it has recently been discovered that Ledum Palustre L. belongs to the Rhododendron family, it's latin nomenclature has also changed to Rhododendron tomentosum Harmaja. This species actually does not occur in North America (though extends to the easternmost fringes of Asia).

Three species of the Ledum group of Rhododendron occur in North America and of these Labrador Tea (Rhododendron groenlandicum), which used to be known as Ledum groenlandicum. Labrador tea has a long history of use amongst First Nations and is now used in gruit recipes as an alternative to Marsh rosemary."...

fortunately i'm far enough north to see labrador tea grow wild around here...good to know they're related. i should mention though that it can be poisonous if not prepared properly...read up on the plant. and if you get it, try it as a tea first.

sean: marsh rosemary was used extensively in gruit ales before about a billion different factors lead to the sole use of hops. there are tons of threads on here about it but as usual google has even more info and history. it is very different than domestic rosemary especially if its related to labrador tea...very different smell and taste...but labrador tea does look an aweful lot like really big rosemary leaves.

I actually bought mine at Wild Weeds about six months ago. I still have some left over from my last Gruit batch...looks like I better hang on to it.

:D

Next question, have you ever made Gruit before and are you sure you still want to make it? Mine's not great, but I'm aging it more and maybe it'll be 'ready' after awhile.

:eek:

yeah you better hang on to it (or sell it to me *grin*)
i called wild weeds and they said they cannot get it anymore and know of no one who has it

i have never tasted gruit before nor brewed it before - so i thought I would try something different ... i've heard it's strange ...

what did it taste like to you?

only thing wrong there is that i haven't found on their site where they sell marsh rosemary (although they do sell labrador tea)...

Back