I'm done with Bottling!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daver77

Reaction score
Ok, I absolutely hate bottling. In fact I have 2 beers in my basement from 2 months ago sitting in the chamber waiting to be bottled.

I have an extra fridge that I can use as a Kegerator. I'm planing on having the facet come out right on the facing of the door rather than doing a fancy tower set up and with just one tap. I'd also like to rig something simple for mobile use.

What can you guys recommend as far as equipment goes. I'm looking to save here and there but also looking to buy right the first time.

As for a regulator I don't even know where to start.
I do have a ball lock keg and am getting more.

For a regulator I like Taprite. A ten pount co2 tank cost me 20$ to swap and my 20lb tanks cost 24$ to swap, FYI. Don't get attached to the tank, AKA buy used or know it's a pain to get the same tank filled. Most places swap tanks. I use Airgas. Later get a smaller co2 tank for mobile use.

I would suggest a dual regulator so you can serve off one and burst carb and serve off the other. When I did mine, I put two faucets through the side of the refrigerator. The equipment will add up fast, but right now all you need to go with the keg you have is a co2 tank, regulator, quick disconnect gas line and quick disconnect party tap (if you don't want to invest in a faucet yet).

For a regulator I like Taprite. A ten pount co2 tank cost me 20$ to swap and my 20lb tanks cost 24$ to swap, FYI. Don't get attached to the tank, AKA buy used or know it's a pain to get the same tank filled. Most places swap tanks. I use Airgas. Later get a smaller co2 tank for mobile use.

I just bought a kegerator conversion kit that comes with a new co2 tank and I am having a hard time finding a place that will fill the tank rather than swap. I paid for a brand new tank and it looks like I may not get to keep it.

I just bought a kegerator conversion kit that comes with a new co2 tank and I am having a hard time finding a place that will fill the tank rather than swap. I paid for a brand new tank and it looks like I may not get to keep it.

:off:Yeah i thought the same thing but a local fire extingisher place refils co2 for kegerators

Their are some up sides to swapping tanks. If you want to switch gasses (like for beer gas) it's no big deal. Also it's faster to swap tanks, run in and out. And if they don't have the size you need they may up grade you. I'm a heating and A/C guy who welds, I know tanks. Tanks are there to make people money, or in this case serve beer. When you swap tanks make sure to get a hydro test date newer than the last tank you traded in.

Their are some up sides to swapping tanks. If you want to switch gasses (like for beer gas) it's no big deal. Also it's faster to swap tanks, run in and out. And if they don't have the size you need they may up grade you. I'm a heating and A/C guy who welds, I know tanks. Tanks are there to make people money, or in this case serve beer. When you swap tanks make sure to get a hydro test date newer than the last tank you traded in.

What's a hydro test?

Every 5 years co2 tanks need hydrostatic testing. If you keep a tank and the hydro date is past due, it's an additional 20$ fee. It's only a pain if they try to give me a tank that will take me years to use up, and the hydro date is next month. Many steel tanks have been in use for a hundred years and have a crap load of hydro stamps. A new tank is stamped on the neck and will look like 02-13 That means you have 5 years before the next test.

I had a new one also, but soon got over it. Just swap it. It is a tank and they all do the same thing. I have swapped out many times. Had some real crummy looking ones and even had brand new ones again.

You walk into the gas place and ask for a tank of co2, most don't have new tanks. New tanks and used tanks cost the same, "steel for steel". A word of caution, not all tanks can be filled. If you get one off crageslist, that tank may be owned by someone else AKA no one will touch it. When you see all the tanks on a construction sight just sitting there, if anyone took one and tryed to get it swaped, the gas people would know.

I just bought four ball locks yesterday the guy also had a 10# bottle with gauges that was 75 o/o Nitrogen and 25 o/o Co2--neither one of us was sure about it so I passed on buying it--so these Co2 tanks are basically like Propane tanks once you pay on one you just keep swaping for a full one?? instead of buying one off the Net

I bought a new 20 pounder. The local welding supply store I go to fills it and will have it back the same day as long as I drop it off in the AM.

As far as the hydro test goes, I'm guessing my local welding supply store can send it in for me and have it done. I heard it's not expensive but I don't know that for sure.

- Destin

Browder the first tank is beer gas; what they use to push stout's and the second I'm I think is C25 for welding. And yes the money a tank cost (like for LP) is for the steel and you can swap it for another tank filled with another gas and just pay for the fill.

Thanks for the reply Mike--I see now on the Northern web site they sell two different tanks and different gauges for Nitrogen & Co2 so I'm glad I passed on it--It'll take me a couple weeks before I'll be able to get set up my plan was to get the fridge set up for commercial keg and gradually get the corny's but the guy let me have these for $30.00 each and haven't seen any that cheap in awhile so looks like these two buckets will get bottled next week--

Got my set up yesterday at Cask & Kettle, they have very good prices. I'm the happiest I have been since I started brewing!!!!!:ban::ban::ban::ban:

4ad7f2288e6e11e2b9ed22000a1f8cd8_6_zps9ab8a04b.jpg

Good for you!--I'm bottling today and I'm over it I wouldn't mind bottling one outta four or five batches but it's a pain dealing with all the bottles that seem to be everywhere--getting bottles ready rite now for some American Wheat and have another bucket cold crashing in the garage to do tomarrow after this I'm throwing bottles that are left over in the recycle bin--my son is supposed to hook me up with a tank and gauges I've got a $25.00 upright fridge I got from the Mason's lodge and four corny's all I've got left to get are lines and a couple tap's--got about three batches worth of grain to get boiled and none of it is going in a bottle-----

Good for you!--I'm bottling today and I'm over it I wouldn't mind bottling one outta four or five batches but it's a pain dealing with all the bottles that seem to be everywhere--getting bottles ready rite now for some American Wheat and have another bucket cold crashing in the garage to do tomarrow after this I'm throwing bottles that are left over in the recycle bin--my son is supposed to hook me up with a tank and gauges I've got a $25.00 upright fridge I got from the Mason's lodge and four corny's all I've got left to get are lines and a couple tap's--got about three batches worth of grain to get boiled and none of it is going in a bottle-----

Maaaaan, I just finished kegging a stout. Totally happy you need to get on this. In fact I doubt you'll go back to bottling.

I'm getting a blichman gun for the times I want to bottle some beer to give away.

I go back and forth. I had 7 5gallon kegs all done up and my bottled beers were getting a tad low. Ended up not kegging any of 3 batches and put it all into bottles. I thought 30 gallons was going to take for ever, but with everything needed already out for 1 batch I zipped right through it.

Back