Sanity check - calculating brewhouse efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkfish

Reaction score
Hi all - I'm looking for a sanity check here on what I'm doing to determine my efficiency.

My process right now is this:
1.) Mash and sparge. Upon completion of sparge, gently stir the wort and take a sample from the brewpot.
2.) Reduce sample temperature to somewhere in the 80* area (my arbitrary number) - take gravity reading and record wort temperature.
3.) Boil wort and chill.
4.) Stir the chilled wort well and take a second gravity reading and record wort temperature.
5.) Plug the numbers into an online calculator along with the grain bill (I had been using rooftopbrew's calculator)

Does this all sound right or do you do differently?

Thanks!
MF

To calculate the brewhouse efficiency, you need to get an accurate reading of the volume of wort in the fermenter and the gravity of that wort. A calculator should then be able to calculate your efficiency, but you cannot do it without taking the volume into account.

-a.

To calculate the brewhouse efficiency, you need to get an accurate reading of the volume of wort in the fermenter and the gravity of that wort. A calculator should then be able to calculate your efficiency, but you cannot do it without taking the volume into account.

-a.

Thanks both of you for the responses. I have been factoring in volume into the calculations. I've been getting very low 80%s consistently since changing my crush to .037" - which was a better improvement than I had expected since reducing from the factory gap (and a very slow batch sparge.)

Much obliged.

Back