AHS 20th Aniv IPA help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frisk181

Reaction score
So I decided to brew my AHS 20th Aniv extract kit for National Homebrew day and found I have an extra ounce of cascade in the kit that is not listed in the instructions. Any suggestions on what I should do with it? I'm thinking a 10 or 5 min addition.

Here the recipe per the instructions:
Steep 1lb crystal 75 @ 155 for 25
8lbs extra pale liquid extract
1 oz newport @ 60 min
1 oz Falconer's flight @ 15 min

Gains are steeping so time is a bit of a factor. :mug:

Flip your instructions over. The cascades are for dry hopping (add in after 5-7 days) I'm drinking this exact recipe right now and it is really good.

Reading both sides of the instructions what a concept. Just as I was really starting to like the idea of an 8 min addition. Seeing as it is my first IPA and it's getting good reviews I guess I should follow the recipe. Thanks!

I'v got one of these on tap right now, but it's the worst IPA I have ever made. I had it on primary for 3 weeks, racked it into a keg and dry hoped it for 5 days, and put it in the taper on co2. I tried it for about a week and it was terrible. I took it back out and let it set at room temp. for a week and hooked it back up in the frig and it's still bad. It dosn't have any off flavors but the hop flavor is bad. I can drink a glass and belch nasty hop flavor for and hour. This is the first time I ever dry hopped so I brewed another one and skipped the dry hops hoping it will be better. This is dissapointing because I like IPAs and bought 7 of these kits. I used the LME from one kit and milled some bries 2 row and added some rice and corn to make a three crop cream ale. If I don't figure out what it is I dont like about the hops I will just use the LME in other recipes. Has anyone else had a bad experience with these kits? I brewed a porter that was good and a stout I havn't racked off primary yet, hoping it will be good.

I bought one of these kits but but added several extra hop additions and a pound of corn sugar at flame out. I just dry hopped it yesterday and it smells wonderful. Cant wait to try it.

My anniv. ipa has been in the keg a couple weeks, its good, but not my best batch.
The FF hops seem a tad harsh, but i did add some extra cascade leaf for dryhop.

I think im better off with a single hop centennial/columbus style ipa, but this one is going fast, and im gonna bottle a few to see how they taste in a month or so.

My anniv. ipa has been in the keg a couple weeks, its good, but not my best batch.
The FF hops seem a tad harsh, but i did add some extra cascade leaf for dryhop.

I think im better off with a single hop centennial/columbus style ipa, but this one is going fast, and im gonna bottle a few to see how they taste in a month or so.

It may be the FFF hops I dont't like, I had never used them befor. I put my AHS APA in the frig last night and it don't taste too bad, it's still young, 3 wks in primary and 8 days in a primed keg. I think I will take the IPA back out and put it in a closet for a few weeks and see if the hop flavor will reduce some. If it don't get better I will cook up about 3 gallon of .050 wart with just 2 row and blend it and referment. I'm going to brew another IPA kit and I think I will use columbus hops, I have 4 lb. whole hops I got on ebay a while back and I'v been running it through beer calc. with columbus.

mine is still young as well, im not writing it off, its good, and the bitterness is smooth overall, i went crazy with flameout additions of ff, as well as a cheescloth of .5 FFin my keg, but the bit of harsh late flavor is smoothing out, i also found a good temp i think works best for a tall pint, and i just realized all of my "sampling" has my keg almost half gone!! ;)

After 10 days of fermentation I tasted mine when I took a hydro. I thought the flavor was great. I added an extra oz of FF also. It's a bit more bitter than I would prefer but I won't have any problems knocking out a keg of it.

Mine is starting to mellow out some, but as I was moving some kegs around in the kegerater I noticed it's over half gone. It still has a strong hop flavor I'm not fond of.

Anybody got a description of how columbus hops might taste in this and a hop schedual I might use.

Latest posts

Back