Damn damn damn... boil without grain bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cap'n Jewbeard

Reaction score
Hey-

I bought my supplies today, am planning to brew tonight (like 11 PM), and I forgot to buy the nylon grain bag!

So, 2 questions:

1) Can I use something in place of it?
2) If not, can I just yank it out with a strainer or something? Crap crap crap...

Help tonight would be appreciated!

the strainer is also a perfectly fine choice.

I;ve actually been considering not using any bag at all for my steeps.

Pantyhose or an overfilled grain bag will cling pretty tightly to the grain 'wad' and won't allow as much circulation of water around the grains to get the goods out. Letting them flow loose in the water is closer to what the AG guys at the start of their mash, and will get a better extraction of color and flavor from the grains.

Anyway... that's my thinking as of late.

-walker

All right, I think the strainer it is then, I'll just try to dig it all out or something, or maybe filter it briefly into a clean bucket, then back to the pot for the boil (therefore no worry about sanitizing, eh what?)

P funky said:
All right, I think the strainer it is then, I'll just try to dig it all out or something, or maybe filter it briefly into a clean bucket, then back to the pot for the boil (therefore no worry about sanitizing, eh what?)

exactly strain it into another pot, then transfer the liquid back to the original pot and get your boil going. It's all going to be boiled, so no need to santize any of the stuff.

Do you have a coffee strainer? On my current brew i thought that there were to many bits of floating hops after i chilled to 75, so when i racked i put it through my sanitized metal filter from my coffee pot. you might try that, it is so fine that coffee grounds will not pass through it.

iver never had a problem steeping the grains in a seperate pot and just straining through a wire mesh kitchen strainer. which should catch most everything since you should only be barely cracking the grains anyway before the steepage. :)

Back