What type of beer to start with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwil

Reaction score
I've just started learning about brewing and I'm curious what types of beer produce good results with higher alcohol content. Ideally I'd like to end up with a beer between 6.5 and 7 percent alcohol. I have a pretty open flavor pallate, the only beer style I'm pretty sure I don't like are porters(maybe it's just been the few I've tried). Cheers:mug:

Wee Heavy is a pretty doable style for a beginner.

Maybe IPA would work.

Honestly, I'd start with a 5-6% Pale Ale if I were you.

Welcome.

I'd really recommend with something that middle of the road and well known.
What kit do you have and what type of ingredients do you intend to use.

I'd go for something 4-5% ABV and 20 - 30 IBUs
Is there a particular commercial beer you like?

Porters are not normally up towards 7%

Wee Heavy is a pretty doable style for a beginner.

Maybe IPA would work.

Honestly, I'd start with a 5-6% Pale Ale if I were you.

I don't know what Wee Heavy is, but IPA is one of my favorites(usually I get Red Hook). I'd be more than happy to start out brewing a 6% IPA, but I'm still curious what other types of beer get good results with 6.5-7%. I wouldn't start out brewing something over my head, I'm just curious.

Orfy, I haven't bought any equipment yet and I'm open minded to ingredients. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can before I get started.:D

You should take a look at BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Index

I like to brew to style so try and meet the ranges listed there. Maybe find one that seems like what you want, look at the commercial examples and try to find a clone or post back here for a clone recipe.

If you're going to be extract brewing, any IPA kit from one of the major vendors would be a fine start.

Back