Garlic Mead or Sage Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matrix4b

Reaction score
I recently heard about this and heard that garlic mead was very good. Has anyone tried this or made this? It sounds like it might not taste good but someone I talked to said it was great. Just wondering. I was thinking on doing a Sage mead but have no recipies and have not been able to find a garlic mead recipie.

hey this is a good way to get insight for a recipe...

anyway this is what I would try for garlic, 5 gallons
15# clover honey, I wouldnt use anything great for this one
water to fill to 5 gallons
8-15 garlic cloves, prepare these by cutting them lengthwise but not all the way through just think of scoring them
71B or D-47 for your yeast, just one pack

ferment this all in a primary then rack after about 3-4 months at this point your fermentation should be done, but check and do all the sciency parts. Once it is done in primary rack to secondary and remove the garlic. At this point taste it and ask yourself, does it taste like garlic? Do I like the taste? Should I add some basil? How is the sweetness?

OK on the basil one, understand I am in a boring class right now and I like basil with my garlic.

Um, Yeah that would be a LOT of garlic. I was thinking maybe one clove for a 5-6 gallon batch. Relying on everything that I heard about spices getting more potent in the alcohol extraction process. Possibly putting it in the primary even to alter the flavor a bit more. One clove or about 4 oz of chopped should be sufficient but I was just wondering if anyone tried it and can report on it as I think that Garlic is a microb killer, or an astringinte. Ak, my spelling is way off but you get my meaning.

My taste buds aren't imaginative enough for this.
But, I do have a very large sage growing right next to my brew shed door and I've some idle honey, so will watch this with interest.

I always think a 1 gallon jug is perfect for experiments like this. Small batches, low cost, and if you don't like it . . . well, you feel way less guilty about tossing it out. Matrix, depending on where you are, can you get something like a Santa Cruz apple cider jug? That's what I use when I feel like fermenting something wacky that I don't want to occupy my regular brew system. I've got 4-5 of them (though rarely more than a couple in use) and if you get the right sized bung to put your airlock on they work really well.

As much as I like garlic, I can't imagine a garlic mead. Sage, on the other hand, sounds like it could be quite nice. I know there is such a thing as sage honey, so I imagine a sage mead would be a wonderful cooking liquid and probably nice to drink as well....

I also have to say, I like garlic, but in a mead.....
Let's say ginger is about as far as I think I can go, and even then in small quantities.

I'm not an expert on mead, by any means... but if you decide to do this, you might consider using roasted rather than raw garlic. Roasted garlic is very sweet--the starches have converted to sugars, and the flavor is much softer, smooth and buttery, even nutty. I can't exactly imagine it, but intellectually it seems like those flavors would work better with a mead.

There is an onion wine recipe in The Joy of Home Winemaking, and she usually always gives how much sugar or honey is needed for the recipe. Then again, I find a lot of her recipes to follow the unoffical 1-2-3 rule - 1 gallon of water, 2 lbs of sugar, and 3 lbs of fruit.

I make a garlic jam or jelly, which my mother loves and puts on meat, which could also be a good use for a garlic mead. I haven't done it in a while, but basically, I think I use 1/4 cup garlic for one batch, following the directions for the pectin on how much water and sugar. Really, I make a tea with the garlic, and either I strain it out or leave it depending on my mood and who is going to eat it.

Edit PS - I also am in the process of making a bell pepper/peach wine, and I make a mean jalapeno guava margarita.

Made a Lavender Mead once, once! No, it was alright I liked it very floral. I think a sage mead would be really good if you didn't overdo the spice.

I stumbled on this topic. I made some garlic mead, its strongly garlicy and strongly alcohol flavoured, pretty much the most vile substance I have ever tasted, but I think it should make an interesting cooking wine.

Latest posts

Back