S05 or 04 for Two Hearted Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschatz

Reaction score
Two Hearted Clone

Which yeast do I go for? S04 or 05? I'd like it to clean up pretty good so I'm thinking 04.

10# Pale
2 Vienna
.5 carapils
.5 crystal 20
1 oz of centennial at 60
1 at 15
1 at 5
1 at flame out
dry hop? probably at least 1 oz
ALL CENTENNIAL!!! :ban:

what you thinks on da yeasties?

S05 is what i'd go with. i've been using it alot in my hoppy beers.

I did a side-by-side batch of a Bells Two Hearted clone using S-04 and US-05. I much preferred the '05 - it tasted cleaner and slightly drier, whereas the '04 had a slight yeast-based fruitiness that didn't IMHO sit terribly well with the different fruitiness of the Centennials. It was still good and drinkable, but when I brew it again I'll just go with the 05.

I have done 2HA clones with Nottingham and S-33. I think I like the Nottingham better, its drier, and cleaner. Based on that, I would go with 05. 04 would finish a little sweeter, although both should be fairly clean if you keep temps in check.

Danek! I noticed that you had never replied to that thread that you created awhile back regarding two yeasts for the Two Hearted Clone. I was going to PM you to ask what ever happened. You're definately the guy I wanted to chat with. THanks for the info. I'm going 05.

Thanks again. :mug:

Just finished a two hearted ale clone using the 05 and it turned out great. I would recomend that. I've heard mixed reviews on the 04 and the 05 seems to have consitently good reviews.

The 04 will likely finish too high, and it gives a substantial fruitiness, so I think it would not be appropriate. I have used 05 many times, the only complaint I have is that it sometimes finishes a little low, but it is great at bringing out the hops in APAs and IPAs.

Also Bell's ferments their Two Hearted at 76F, so I know they use a very neutral yeast. If you used 04 at that temperature it would be all esters.

I like the simplicity - I have S04 on hand. I've been enjoying the beers I've made with it.

...but, I have to drive past the LHBS to get the kid over to mow a friends lawn....

Considereing a side trip. Two ferenters, one with each yeast. I did this once before. You mix the wort thoroughly and use two different yeasts. Its amazing how different the two beers can end up.

I tried it and added some specialty grains. I got a heavy beer. Overdid the Carapils and Crystal., but the hops don't seem near enough.

Ah, I didn't read thoroughly. I'm at about half of what you stated.

It came out as decent beer, just not super hoppy.

Two Hearted Clone

Which yeast do I go for? S04 or 05? I'd like it to clean up pretty good so I'm thinking 04.

10# Pale
2 Vienna
.5 carapils
.5 crystal 20
1 oz of centennial at 60
1 at 15
1 at 5
1 at flame out
dry hop? probably at least 1 oz
ALL CENTENNIAL!!! :ban:

what you thinks on da yeasties?

Is the 10# Pale a LME- as in a partial mash/grain extract method- right?
TIA

Todd

Latest posts

Back