The Start of a Good Thing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAKA

Reaction score
Well I checked my 2 batches today when I woke up. The batch with the champange yeast is starting to ferment. I can see little bubbles moving around the carboy to the top but there is nothing in the bubbler. The other batch has wyeast 3086 and there is no acitvity at all (also its very dark). I have the orange carboy top on both but I do not have the handles. The other half is not too keen on having 10 gallons of what she calls DOOM JUICE fermenting in the kitchen, but I just told her that its Ed Worts fault. She looked at me like what the hell are you talking about. Well I will keep everyone posted on how things go. By the way the temp in the kitchen is around 70's.

Doom Juice - That's funny!

Give the Wyeast some time . It can take 72 hours.

Thanks for the info i was a little worried cause I cant even see a cake or what resembles a cake with the 3068. But again thanks for the info

By the way the temp in the kitchen is around 70's.

I always found that my carboys were running a few degrees higher than the ambient temp in the fermenting room (my kitchen also). The fermentation generates a little heat....but I think it's a negligible amount. But if you were already straddling the fence with your room temperature it could make all the difference.

Your room temp sounds pretty good to me.

If you were to ferment in a warmer room, you could always keep the carboy in a bucket of water. Keep the water cool by cycling frozen water bottles in the bucket. Kinda like this:
2456-stuffs.jpg

Well my first batch with the champange yeast has been done fermenting. I racked a gallon into one of the empty juice jugs and put it in the fridge. I drank a glass and it has a champange taste and is a little dry but im not sure what the ABV is it doesnt taste as strong as I thought it would. When I get a chance im gonna check it when i get my hydro back from my cousin. Will the rest of the batch be ok since I racked. Also will the gallon be ok in the fridge since I didnt carb or corked?????

Well my first batch with the champange yeast has been done fermenting. I racked a gallon into one of the empty juice jugs and put it in the fridge. I drank a glass and it has a champange taste and is a little dry but im not sure what the ABV is it doesnt taste as strong as I thought it would. When I get a chance im gonna check it when i get my hydro back from my cousin. Will the rest of the batch be ok since I racked. Also will the gallon be ok in the fridge since I didnt carb or corked?????

It's fine in the fridge- I like mine chilled, too.

I don't know what you are asking about the rest of the batch being ok since you racked. You mean, since the carboy has a gallon of headspace, or did you bottle the rest?

well i finally broke into my batch that I used wyeast 3068. I have to say that its pretty good. It has a nice finish to it almost like a little bit of a spice. The batch I used with chamange yeast was great. I cant wait to start more batchs of this stuff.:ban::ban:

Back